SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   4 Years not drinking, is it too late to get a sponsor? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/319574-4-years-not-drinking-too-late-get-sponsor.html)

AndrejsM 01-15-2014 05:43 AM

4 Years not drinking, is it too late to get a sponsor?

Hi. I'm not new to not drinking, but I am new to recovery. I have been dry for over 4 years now. I just realized over the past few days that all I did was remove alcohol however the problems were still there this whole time. I think I'm a dry drunk. Even though I've attending many AA meetings, I never got a sponsor. I was too scared and nervous. Do you think it's too late for a sponsor after 4 years? Has anyone else gotten one this late or later? Was it successful? How are you doing now? Thanks for sharing.

prospectkid 01-15-2014 05:57 AM

My sponsor who has over twenty years just got a new sponsor. There is nothing to fear with getting a sponsor. By now you should have at least identified a few people in meetings that seem like they can assist you.

For me, once the compulsion to drink was removed, the program of AA is really about living a happier life. The steps help me in so many ways beyond not drinking. Don't be afraid. Pick someone at the next meeting. Ask them to meet with you and see what the process would be.

A lot of people have this idea that sponsors are jerks that scold and cajole you into doing things you don't want to do. That has not been my experience at all. You have to be open to guidance from more experienced people with better sobriety operating a higher level of emotional maturity. We all need to do this from time to time. Good luck.

phoebe64 01-15-2014 06:02 AM

I do not attend AA, but from what I read on here, it is never too late to get a sponsor or do th esteps. In fact, I read of people doing the steps more than once in their lives, and years into sobriety. It can only support your sobriety to do some mew work on recovery.

AndrejsM 01-15-2014 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by prospectkid (Post 4409262)
You have to be open to guidance from more experienced people with better sobriety operating a higher level of emotional maturity.

Thank you so much for responding. What you said above just hit me and makes so much sense. I am very, very, very emotionally immature. I am going to a noon meeting today. I am trying to work up the courage to talk to a prospective sponsor. Thanks again!

aasharon90 01-15-2014 06:04 AM

It's never to late to better ourselves. To
go to any lengths it takes to get what we
need to be healthy, happy and honest in
life. 4 yrs. not drinking an awesome achievement
for any alcoholic. Now, to achieve the promises
offered to us as stated in our Big Book of AA,
we can ask for what we need. Guidance to
achieving those gifts in recovery.

Step studies will help us and teach us how
to work thru them so we can build a stronger,
healthier foundation in recovery to live upon
each day forward we remain sober.

I didn't and still don't want to get caught
in a rut or at a stand still, stagnat in life
and recovery where it becomes boring,
dull, depressing. It is suggested that we
enjoy life in recovery, to laugh, have fun.
In fact, they insist upon it.

Now we can go achieve life to the fullness and
be happy, joyous and free in recovery. :)

Anna 01-15-2014 06:18 AM

I think that recovery is an ongoing process, a life-long process. And, if you feel that trying something different such as using a sponsor will help you, then go for it.

Dee74 01-15-2014 02:28 PM

I agree with Anna - I'm still learning :)

welcome aboard AndrejsM :)

D

heath480 01-15-2014 04:47 PM

No Andre it is never too late to get a sponsor.