Notices

Weight Loss?

Old 01-14-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weight Loss?

I am approaching 3 weeks sober and was thinking to myself about the amount of calories I used to consume when drinking. A LOT!! I am a group fitness instructor and was barely maintaining my current weight before, but now think I might actually lose some weight. Who experienced weight loss? How much? How long did it take?
Old 01-14-2014, 06:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have lost between 10-13 lbs over the past two months (the time I have been trying to stay sober - have had 2 3-week sober periods).... I haven't done anything different regarding diet.... I have an appetite now - which I didn't used to have.. but, I am grateful to shed a few pounds from not drinking.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I wasn't really trying to lose weight. When I stopped drinking, I also started walking and running to fight cravings and lost 27 pounds in about ten weeks. I'm very skinny but it has been almost five months now and I continue to run 3-5 times per week and my weight has stabilized at 168 pounds (I'm 6'3").
I drank 12-14 beers every night so it was a bunch of calories.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well if you replace the booze calories with sugar calories, you won't lose any.
There's a lot of things you have to do to get your metabolism back up to par. It's slow my friend. Fat is 9 calories in a gram, but alcohol is 7. Second only to fat.

So if you eat as many calories in fat as did you did alcohol, you won't lose any. Losing weight is a math equation. You need more calories used than bringing in. Alcoholic or not.

The lucky ones who "seem to automatically" lose weight either don't replace the calories or they have high natural metabolisms.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

But I will say being sober makes it a ton easier to go to the gym. :-)
Old 01-14-2014, 09:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I lost roughly 25lbs in 2 months, anxiety driven no doubt do to relationship issues. That wasn't healthy loss, but after 3 weeks I started working out hard again, it took a while to get my appetite back. I'm doing better at moderating sugar intake, and getting my diet back on track. Gained back 6lbs in the last two weeks, today I'm a lean and mean 212lbs.
Short answer, if you can keep diet on track, stay hydrated and workout often you will shred fat and build muscle (unless you're just doing cardio). You'll look and feel waaaaaay better in short order. Amazing how well your body responds when it's not being poisoned.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The first time I stopped drinking I had been drinking everyday for the past 10 years. I ate right, did not exercise, and lost 20lbs the first six weeks.

This time for some reason I'm finding it more difficult. The first 90 days I lost nothing but did not exercise and ate a ton of ice cream and sweets. Then I started working out and eating healthy and after a month, I'm down 5lbs. I'm hoping the weight loss speeds up soon but I know my body is still wondering what's going on so when it catches on that it's supposed to be shedding pounds, I'm sure they'll start coming off.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My diet habits have always been pretty under control. I am not a big fan of sweets and just not a huge eater. I am on day 24 and feel the healthiest I have in a long time. I do not miss waking up with a huge headache and overall fog, going through the motions of my day just so I can start drinking to feel like "myself". Bring on the new, healthier me and if weight loss comes along with it....BONUS!
Old 01-15-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It stands to reason if you eat the same and forgoe the drink, weight loss will happen.

I've lost 10 pounds in the past month but watching my food intake. I love sugar and am trying to give that up, too.

Just started Lexapro and they say you gain some weight on that. Have to be a little more diligent in my efforts now. Better to be up some then down in the "dumps" with alcohol.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

when i tried to sober up about two years ago I lost 50lbs in about two months. Luckily ive stayed fit since then as I hardly used to eat anything at all and maintained my exercise

I dont recommend trying to lose weight as fast as I did, its dangerous.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was a pretty chunky monkey there at the end of my drinking! I don't even want to THINK about how many calories I was consuming through alcohol. (actually, it's kind of amazing that I didn't get even bigger than I did.) I was thinking of creating a similar post today called "The Amazing Shrinking Gut!". LOL

I'm pushing 50ish days sober, and I KNOW I've lost weight. My clothes are fitting better, I'm starting to see my arm muscles again, and I'm a lot more comfortable and not as "Roll-y" feeling around the middle. :-)

I haven't yet stepped on a scale and I don't plan on it until I need to size down my clothes. I FEEL better, and I'd hate to see numbers that aren't commensurate with how I feel. That would really knock the wind out of my sails.

I hit plateus and gain muscle mass pretty quick for a lady! I know, that's not a bad thing. But, it's difficult to work hard and watch the scale go UP... and then somehow try to soothe yourself by saying something like, "It's alright- That's just MUSCLE!". LOL I'm going to stay away from the scale this time, and see how that works out for me.