Notices

challenges ahead: getting ready

Old 01-14-2014, 05:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

challenges ahead: getting ready

I've been sober since 11/20. At that time, work was winding down and I was able to survive late November and early December on auto-pilot, focusing on the early days of sobriety. I start work again tomorrow, have meetings the rest of this week and next week, back to full speed on 1/27. My primary focus has been on sobriety over the last few weeks, and I'm a bit nervous about returning to the grind of the work week. And once the 27th hits, I do not have a major break until next December. I feel old thought coming back. I have to think about other things at work,have to dedicate mental energy in such a way that sobriety will not be my primary concern. Then the nights, with work the next day looming, the loud mind, the thinking. Yes, I know what this is-AV creeping in-but I have not dealt with work sober in many, many, years, and those sober years were pre-marriage, pre-kids. I'm getting stressed just thinking about it. I am thinking about looking into some local AA meetings for some face-to-face support, but I'm worried: I have been to one AA meeting and it really did not feel right, but I am determined to do whatever it takes to stay sober. Ugh!
Old 01-14-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi. If UGH means staying sober I suggest forget about it. The desire to stay sober is probably the most important key to recovery, which means long term. Very close behind the desire is being honest with our self about our drinking.
For many this sobriety is a tough road so it's good to have some positives when getting in the drivers seat as only the driver can get themselves sober.

BE WELL
Old 01-14-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry for ambiguity, my "ugh" refers the the exhale, the release or expression of tension upon entering or continuing a task of great effort or exertion, kind of like the "ugh" when we realize we are only half-way through an intese workout-that we have every intention of finishing.
Sorry, I guess I should have proofread my thread.Guess it came across wrong.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I tried to delete this thread. Now, it's time to go to bed-SOBER, don't worry. Goodnight, SR.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Malcolm

I got the ugh - it was a general oy vey rather than a specific AA ugh

I have the utmost faith in you that you'll be able to do whatever you need to stay sober - balance is important I think - once you get all three pillars strong (work, play, and recovery) you'll be set

D
Old 01-14-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You'll be alright man, take those thoughts out and look at 'em, work 'em over and beat the crap out of 'em. You may have some go to bed earlies in your future. It's OK.