Notices

What do you do when a craving strikes?

Old 01-14-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What do you do when a craving strikes?

Today is my fifth day of sobriety from alcohol. I've been binge-eating (I did this while I was drinking too, though, so it's not any better but it's not any worse than while I was drinking), but I'm getting to the point again where I want to drink. I was hoping it would be longer than five days haha but oh well. When you guys get the desire to drink/eat/use, etc, what do you do?

I've tried all the 'normal' things like read, call a friend, watch a movie, go for a walk, and they don't really seem to help me. I've been drinking cup after cup of decaff tea just to give me something to be swallowing lol but it's the intoxication I miss, of course. Does it get easier with time? Any suggestions that I get that I find work for me I also plan to use to put an end to my binge/emotional eating Thanks in advance, and good luck to everyone!
Old 01-14-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are some great tips here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D
Old 01-14-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It absolutely gets easier with Time Foureyed. You are still in the very earliest stages of sobriety and still potentially in the acute withdrawal phase. For me personally I had to make a detailed daily plan for each day the first several weeks to keep my mind off drinking. I ilterally wrote down what I planned to do each hour of the day, including when I planned to sleep, eat, do daily chores, etc. Idle minds lead to drinking...keep yourself busy with other things. Even simple chores like organizing your closet or kitchen can be theraputic.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Not sure if by friend you meant someone in recovery or not? What I did was call sponsor & if couldn't reach him, then network or go to a mtg. I undstd that you're in the beginning stages of sobriety so I definitely know how you feel. As hard as it is, keep in mind the further you keep putting it off, the harder twill be to get sober
Easier to stay sober than get sober
Best wishes
Old 01-14-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It does get a easier. hang in there. I find playing with my dog or cat, or working on a project help me It helps to do something your truly interested in, then after a little while the craving passes and you can look back and say wow I made it through that one and
that can give you confidence and strength to survive the next one.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes it does get easier but usually not as fast as we want. Years ago it was suggested that when the desire strikes to drink a frappe, ice cream soda or 2, or have a banana split as the body may be screaming for the sugar the alcohol was supplying.

BE WELL
Old 01-14-2014, 08:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In AA they will tell you this is bad recovery, but it is what really worked for me. I called friends--non alcoholic/non addict friends. That way I was not triggering them and they were not judging me.

Talking openly and honestly about my craving with people who would not judge me or criticize me was essential for me. Maybe my cravings were my own fault, but it would not help to hear it at that point.

They say this does not work because humans are powerless over cravings. But in my experience that was not the case.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

good point

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
It absolutely gets easier with Time Foureyed. You are still in the very earliest stages of sobriety and still potentially in the acute withdrawal phase. For me personally I had to make a detailed daily plan for each day the first several weeks to keep my mind off drinking. I ilterally wrote down what I planned to do each hour of the day, including when I planned to sleep, eat, do daily chores, etc. Idle minds lead to drinking...keep yourself busy with other things. Even simple chores like organizing your closet or kitchen can be theraputic.
This is my last night of detox, and I had to put an extensive plan in place.
I have no problems until my 5 month old goes to bed. after that I come up here and try to help others, or I play video games.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Eating. Not like eating myself into oblivion but a little snack always takes the edge off xxxx
Old 01-15-2014, 07:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Eat, shower, exercise, read a book, call a sober friend, play the tape through, wait it out, anything so I don't pick up that first drink. Your AV can be menacing, but it cant make you do anything. I know I'm fine until that first drink hits my bloodstream . . . at that point I'm out of control.