Notices

Panic attacks

Old 01-14-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Panic attacks

Has anyone else experienced panic attacks as a result of withdrawals from alcohol or just after a night of drinking too much?

If so, how do you cope?

I'm at work now and fell off the wagon last night after 2 weeks of being sober... Trying to work through an epic panic attack now...typing and reading this forum is helping...drinking lots of water and eating fruit... just telling myself to breath..

Old 01-14-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was noticing that, too, right after my last two slips. No actual panic attacks but high anxiety all day. Well you had a slip but today's a new day to start over.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can relate. I drank last Saturday night after 5.5 months of sobriety. Full of Anxiety and panicky, but surprisingly it is going away. The best thing to do is after work, just make a nice healthy dinner and lay in bed or watch TV. Get your mind off things and relax. (what i did last night). I feel much better today.
Whatever you do, do not drink. The thought entered my mind. Its completely insane how fast the cravings come back.
Keep Strong.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

YES! That is my number one problem. It was with hangovers and it was/is with withdrawals.
In my experience, I was low on magnesium and once I had taken a magnesium supplement for a couple weeks I noticed a drastic improvement.
When you are having them NEVER go on google and look at symptoms of things it does not help. Here are some things that help me:

-Go on a brisk walk outside, walk until you are thinking about exhaustion instead of anxiety
-watch some happy light TV
-watch inspirational youtube videos
-call someone and tell them exactly what you are feeling
-have a protein filled snack
-take a long, HOT shower
-one I havent tried is taking a spoonful of hot sauce in the midst of a panic attack, it releases endorphins, endorphins are your friend!
-If you believe in God, pray and read the Bible.

Know that it will pass! Soon!
Old 01-14-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yep, major anxiety and some panic attacks both while I was still drinking and after I quit the last several times. It definitely clears up after some sober time, but if you feel it's too much to handle now see a doc - they can help.

I would also say from my experience that each cycle of returning to drinking/quitting makes the anxiety and panic worse, so its something you will most likely endure from this point forward in the drink/quit/drink/quit cycle. And most likely it will get worse every time. Unless you make this your last time...which you can certainly do!
Old 01-14-2014, 10:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think it's definitely the body's way of saying stop poisoning me!!! This should be motivation enough to quit for good... I don't ever want to feel like this again.

Arctic and lifewillgetbet, thank you for the tips..

I think I'll attempt a brisk walk across the street for a some grub...something with protein and lotsa veggies might help... and more water.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes panic attacks are always major withdrawal symptoms for me. Another chemical that triggers them (and many other uncomfortable problems) is the artificial sweetener aspartame. I stopped eating and drinking everything with aspartame in it many years ago, and it had made a huge difference in my well-being. I would recommend to steer clear of it during withdrawal.

When I was drinking and had panic attacks as part of hangover, I would usually just stand them. I'd gotten so used to them that could sit through them in almost any situation, including work meetings and even presentations (always wondering whether others notice them, but apparently no). I tried to help myself with mindfulness, focusing on my breathing and distracting my mind to something pleasant. Eating a little (if I can) and drinking water also tends to help a little.

Now that I'm attempting sobriety, one of my main goals is to work on my anxiety using healthy, conscious methods. There is a lot of information and available literature online... Among many things, I am working on developing a consistent, regular meditation regime. Like to listen to peaceful music. Many people find counseling and especially cognitive behavioral therapy helpful.

All the best to you, I know how panic attacks are truly awful!
Old 01-14-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SeaScape

This is a major reason that I can't have alcohol - bad psychological experiences with anxiety and depression. Exercise has helped me greatly. Taking that pent up anxiety energy and working it out has been the best thing for me.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I used to get them all the time and sometimes thought I was on my way out, it was horrible. They soon went after I quit. I get them from time to time, due to an anxietry disorder but at least I know what is happening now and it is manageable. Not nearly as bad as during those drinking days xxx
Old 01-14-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you Kate

Panic attacks are horrible.. They feel like being face to face with a grizzly bear that's about to eat you only there is no grizzly bear... and you have to keep it all in because you're afraid others will think you're nuts... yikes this sucks.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've had panic attacks from my teenage years, so long, long before drinking. Of course, they worsened during the drinking years, but I still have them sometimes. I have found that taking three or four deep 'belly breaths' works wonders. When you have a panic attack, your breathing becomes more shallow and that makes things worse. When I slow my breathing, I find that I can get through it.

There are many great books on dealing with panic attacks. A good one is 'From Panic to Power' by Lucinda Bassett.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So a friend just gave me a magnesium supplement. It's an oil that you spray on you and supposedly the magnesium is absorbed through your skin.. I'm going to use this every night before bed and will report back on any improvements I notice..

Aside from that and the b-vitamins, any other foods or vitamin supplements that you all can recommend? I've read that a combination of eggs, avocado and tomatoes is really good for your liver in its attempt to recover..
Old 01-14-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I take omega-3 fish oil.Thats a pretty popular one. Its good for mental health.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Yep, major anxiety and some panic attacks both while I was still drinking and after I quit the last several times. It definitely clears up after some sober time
I agree with this wise poster. I have suffered major panic attacks during my drinking days, which included even a trip to the ER and urgent care. Never fun.

Since I've been sober I've only had two of them, and in over 1.5 years I'll take it. I figure that it's a part of me, and I know how to handle them - being sober in my life certainly helps me cope in a major way and gives me confidence. I stay away from over-extending myself with stimulation (a few hours in a confined space followed by a birthday party followed by a plane ride would be a bad combo), and I know that when I feel it coming on, I need a quiet place and some rest.

You will get better, but you've got to quit the drinking. These things will only manifest and get worse if you keep this up, man. You can get through this one, take it easy on yourself for the next few days if possible. Lay off the drink. Good luck.