Notices

Reasons to stay sober

Old 01-14-2014, 06:01 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

My main reason to stay sober is that I dont want to die at 24 years old.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:30 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I find what helps me staying sober is to write down both what you "want" and what you "don't want" out of sobriety. For myself, it's easy to quit, but at times it's very difficult to stay quit. By keeping these things fresh in my mind, it's been very helpful. Sure, I've had a few slips along the way, but all in all it's been pretty effective.

What I want out of sobriety:

1. Spend more time with my family and children. Good quality time, not drunken time. If I am drinking, then my life will revolve around alcohol and I won't fully be "there".

2.I want to focus a lot on interpersonal communications, being funny, talking to people, becoming more social, becoming more fun to be around. I can only do this if I'm sober.

3. I want to do more physical activities, i.e. working out at the gym, going skiing, mountain biking, camping in the summer, hiking, fishing. If I'm drinking, all of these things become secondary and unimportant.

4 .I want to read 50 books this coming year. I would never read if I was drinking.

5. I want to save up money for a new house and put some away for retirement. I have to spend all that extra money somewhere, right?

6. I want to continue to better myself mentally, emotionally, psychologically, and physically. From past experience, if I continue to drink, all of these areas will continue to deteriorate.

7. I want to be a positive person to be around for my family and friends. An alcoholic is like a tornado to be around for those close to him, and the tornado gradually gets worse, not better. I have seen this first hand. I don't want to be a tornado.

What I don’t want out of sobriety:

1. I don’t want to always be tired and feel like crap – I do this by staying sober.

2. I don’t want to be constantly doing stupid things while drunk and then regretting it the following morning, putting my family relationships in jeopardy and eventually face losing them (this will certainly happen, there is no doubt).

3. I don’t want to always be on the verge of a panic attack and suffering from unbearable anxiety – I do this by staying sober.

4. I don’t want to spend all my money on alcohol (liquor stores, bars, drinks) – I do this by staying sober.

5. I don’t want to be a liar, a cheater, and a thief. I do this by staying sober.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I've been sober for almost 3 months. Had some lab work done last week and visited my doctor this week. My liver functions and my blood pressures are now in the "normal" range.
Thats enough reason for me. GL all
Old 01-14-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ronjohn View Post
Anybody that has ever had a gout attack would completely agree... Had that once and that was a total show stopper... Hope that never flares back up!!!!
Oh yea. @30 y old. I couldent do anything. So much pain.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

If I don't drink I'll lose weight, my skin will be clearer and my eyes brighter.
And in each day I don't drink I gain more respect for myself and hopefully regain the respect and trust from loved ones..
I'm back to day one but one of my favorite things in sobriety was sleeping like a bebe and waking up refreshed without the dreaded hang over..
Old 01-14-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

A good reason to stay sober for me is to regain my self respect, and gain confidence that I can do something worthwhile with my life. Plus, I am hoping I will start looking more human and less like a drunkard as the poison leaves my body and soul.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I should stay sober because if I do NOT drink...

I have a chance to have the life I've always dreamed I could have
Old 01-14-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Reasons to stay sober...

So that I am who I am supposed to be. Not the other person I become under the influence.

So that I am the best I can be for my family.

So I can look myself in the mirror without disgust.