Notices

Admitting I am powerless

Old 01-13-2014, 06:21 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by prospectkid View Post
Its really a two-part analysis. "We were powerless over alcohol and our lives had become unmanageable." It sounds like your life may not be unmanageable yet. Mine wasn't at first either. I managed mine fairly poorly for fifteen years and then really poorly for five and then I didn't manage it at all. I wish I would have stopped when I first knew I had a problem, but the romantic connection to alcohol drew me back. Regular drinkers don't have that kind of connection in my experience. Keep going to meetings and get some time (coffee) with people who say things that ring true with you. I wish you the best of luck and prayers for the highest possible bottom.
thank you prospect for helping me stay sober. I'm pretty much in that "managed my life poorly for fifteen years" stage and have had enough run-ins with alcohol-related problems over the years that I have enough evidence to put along with statements like yours to conclude; I am BLESSED to get out now... while my life still has a shot at being WELL managed and I'm not yet entirely overwhelmed with powerlessness.

So much about where I have been and where I've come to shows clearly in your statement and so many others' about exactly where I'm headed if I choose to keep on allowing alcohol to be a part of my life. Nope. I'm taking my blessing and focusing on NEVER allowing myself to be powerless and my life to become unmanageable.

Anyway, thanks.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2bhappier View Post
I am trying to be very honest and not hide anything. I am ashamed of myself.
oh yes, me too.
and the shame had partly to do with the apparent powerlessness. i HAD to be able to control this; it simply wasn't possible that i couldn't,was it?

the being-ashamed was one of the first and best things to lessen in the beginning; after just a little sober while i noticed i looked people in the eyes a bit more, smiled a bit more, had that relief.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

if you have a problem admitting you are powerless over alcohol, JUST DONT PICK IT UP.
But you mentioned that you still cling to it, then you are giving it power and you have none.