Notices

Alcoholic/Addiction Voice (AV)

Old 01-13-2014, 02:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

Alcoholic/Addiction Voice (AV)

I apologise if a thread has been started already regarding AV, but I thought it may be worth putting some info out there to newbies and those who are struggling.

The AV is a little voice in our heads that doesn't concern itself with how you feel the next morning, it does care about drinking alcohol will do to your health and it genuinely doesn't care about you.

If we break up the human consciousness there are parts of your brain that you use, when driving.

It is impossible to drive consciously that is, if you are concentrating on which feet on which pedals, which gear your in, checking your mirrors, watching the road ahead, steering the wheel, and listening to the radio, while your better half is holding out on you for directions on where your going and a kid in the back telling you he/she need a whee, then driving is impossible.

Instead different parts of your brain, access your sub-consciousness and allows that subconscious mind to do what is needed physically to drive.
There can be layers upon layers of things we do while driving and each one is accessing memories in your brain and all working in tandem to perform the act of driving a car safely.

Not forgetting the autonomic functions of breathing, beating your heart and so on.

Now you understand that while part of your brain is busy doing one thing another part of your brain can be doing something quite different.

Your AV is the part of your subconscious which tells you, its time for a drink. Its not evil, its not good. Its works like a independent function and its only job is to to respond to physical conditions and then prompt you to drink.

Willpower is not enough to beat the AV, because essentially you have two parts of the brain in competition which each other, which causes a conflict error. The conflict being either you are feeling anxiety or you comply with either the pre-programmed response (AV) or over ride it with will power.

Willpower is the conscious you, its the you reading this thread right now.

There are several things I have done to de-activate my AV.

The first is you need to associate drinking alcohol, with something extremely dangerous and unpleasant. This will cause the release of a hormone called Adrenaline. Adrenaline has the ability to cease all subconscious thinking and bring us in the moment. For instance if you were in danger of being burnt by fire, you would not be thinking about picking up a glass of beer. Its snaps you into reality.

Part of the work I have done on myself, was associating alcohol with toilet bleach. I used hypnotherapy music and recorded a piece of information on iphone, where as picking up a glass of bleach and drinking it (Literally not actually). I would imagine it burning my throat, scolding and burning my stomach and liver and having to be rushed to hospital for very painful and emergency surgery where as I would be in extreme pain.

I played this track along with my hypnotherapy music (just relaxes you), for 2 hours each evening, I played for one day around 4 times that day only.

Yesterday I was in a restaurant with my Wife and Son, and the people on the next table had ordered drinks. The Waitress had a martini glass of something, not sure what, but I could smell bleach and it looked to my like bleach. I immediate relected back to my hypnotherapy and realised it had worked. I now associate drinking alcohol with drinking toilet bleach. My AV was defeated.

Last week, I also had some medical problems, where as I was told by my Doctor that the medication, I am on for Hypothyrodia would be rendered ineffective if I drank and because the medication takes over the functions of a thyroid, any break in the medication through drinking, could very well and easily lead to a cardiac arrest and of course death.

This knowledge compounded with the previous knowledge of hypnotherapy has lead to the cessation of the AV as if it had been deactivated.

Hypnotherapy is used all over the world to control and alter parts of our subconscious mind. If as I believe your Alcohol Voice is part of this subconscious, then it seems logical to assume based on my own experiences that it can be deactivated.

Once your through the physical withdrawal and no longer hear any AV like myself, I feel happier than ever again and there is no compulsion to drink.

Please take this information in the way it is intended as an guide to how I helped myself rather than this is something you must do. Everyone is different.

Somethings may work and other things might not. You need to find the right solution that works for you to ensure you stay sober. It is so worth it.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

I apologise for the poor spelling and grammar.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for that Autan - made for interesting reading
Old 01-14-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That was a wonderful read Autan. I don't think I have ever read about AV being described this simple and it is also easy to understand. Thank you so much.
I am a child welfare worker and also works for Bellwood Health Services, Toronto. Many a times I have seen children who suffer due to drinking habits of their parents. When we speak to their parents they say that they can't stop even if they try. Many of them cannot afford going to a recovery center. Some of these children fall prey to alcohol addiction themselves. Maybe I should tell them to try your method of blocking AV. It sounds good, thanks for that.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

Day 15 and I havent heard from AV in over a week now. Just living life to the best I can and living it Sober with no regrets.