Notices

Sleeplessness? A little short of breath?

Old 01-11-2014, 04:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sleeplessness? A little short of breath?

Let me start by saying I'm not seeking medical advice. Just want to see if anyone else experienced similar symptoms. I'm on day 5 of being sober. Wake up call came when I went to my dr and my blood pressure was above 140. I'm not the healthiest but I know it was the daily half pint that contributed to it. Since quitting I've been sleeping on and off throughout the night. Up every other hour until I just give up and stay awake. Also find myself being short of breath at times. Anyone else go through this after quitting? I'll make another appt with my dr but was just curious. I'm scared I've done some serious damage and am on my way to an early grave. I've been drinking socially for 12+ years but became a full blown alcoholic 3.5 years ago....with my daily 200ml of vodka. Thanks friends.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Yes, see your doctor. I had similar symptoms and it was panic. Try not to worry too much, the body does heal itself. xxxx
Old 01-11-2014, 04:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Mighty
Probably avoided an early grave when you made the deision to stop drinking alcohol! Doctor visit a very good idea. My experience was that my blood pressure dropped massively. I stopped hyperventilating (didn't even know i was doing it) and sleep gradually improved as fatigue lessened.
All great, but discussed with my doctor....
Well done.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Mighty - I'm at 45 days, but early on had similar symptoms. See your doctor. Mine too was anxiety and once things were talked about with my doctor the shortness of breath went away. My BP dropped a good bit after the first week or so, as did my pulse. You've decided correct, relax, talk to your doctor, and as Kate says try not to worry.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You are going trough withdrawal, this must be done safely as symptoms can vary from one individual to another. Be safe and well done on making this decision.

You are in for the ride of your life. The ride to take it back and live free and happy. It will take work, put in as much as you did drinking and you will succeed.
Good luck and be well