Notices

depression after sobriety

Old 01-10-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

depression after sobriety

Now that I'm sober I can'tshake this depression. Even though it is not intense it still is very uncomfortable. 3 months sober and 41 years old and I'mthinking maybe mid life crisis has ssomething to do with it. Anyone going thru this your comments would be appreciated. Ty.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have clinical depression and I know I've used alcohol to self-medicate. I also take an antidepressant. Have you tried counseling at all? Maybe now that you are sober you are realizing things that you buried with alcohol? Just a thought. I am no expert but I do know depression is miserable and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I am glad you posted. There are people here who have a lot of sobriety who can hopefully chime in.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There is a very good chance you had depression before... The alcohol blurred those issues for you before. Without alcohol you have to see and face these issues with a clear mind.

You might want to look into some counseling...
Old 01-10-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for the response and it is very helpful.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Butler Are you trying to live the same life you had when you were drinking? There is bound to be a void if so. Perhaps, if you can force yourself to find some new interests or go back to things you enjoyed before you drank?
I went back to playing the guitar and art and it's surprising how fast the 'old' me has returned.

Xx
Old 01-10-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello Butler,

The depression could very well be from coming off the alcohol. I have felt it before. Be gentle on yourself, take good care of yourself and know that this will pass. If you don't start feeling better soon, do let your doctor know what is going on. It takes time to learn to live differently and not think we are missing something that never was good for us. I'm still working on it.

You're doing great. Just keep at it and know better days are just around the bend.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

One possibility to at least consider - I think this applied to me recently - you might be depressed as a sort of 'sulk' and/or because of a kind of bereavement concerning your lost 'friend' alcohol. I recently had a lapse because I was so depressed I had a WTF episode and went out and bought some booze. That lasted about a week and then I can only say that I 'saw the light' in some way and realised how crazy it all was. I chucked out the booze that was left, felt a huge sense of relief that I had realised that alcohol was not a friend I was giving up but an enemy I was rejecting. Touch wood - no depression at all since!
Old 01-10-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all

I posted earlier (10 mins ago) and have already gotten several uplifting responses and I cannot say thank you enough! It is a huge help. I'm still learning this website and apparently I can't respond to other members until i have posted 25 times which makes no sense to me at all but so be it. Again thank you all for your responses. Nice to know we are strangers who care about each others well being.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There's depressed, and then there's depressed. Life is different sober. It can be a really good different but you may need to work at it a bit.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Butler, 40 years old, and 70 days sober...before AA depression was horrible, but taking Zoloft for about 70 days too, depression and anxiety much better, working the AA program is a big part of me feeling better. You are NOT alone. Hang in there!
Old 01-10-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi there. Same with me, three months or so is when depression started to hit me, which has hung around for a while but is much better now. I started reading about recovery a lot, learned about PAWS: post acute withdrawal syndrome. Lurked on this website a lot. Had days I didn't do much of anything but read people's posts. I was a big pot smoker along with alcohol and that can make PAWS last longer. Be sure to see your doctor if you are really feeling down, they can give you anti D meds to help in the meantime. I rode it out even when sometimes it felt like too much of a chore to clean my glasses off! It got better for me very slowly so stick with it. I think the restriction on messaging is to keep us safe from bots and spam btw. And it may be 5 posts not 25 but I'm not sure. Good luck buddy, you really can do it!
-Ted
Old 01-10-2014, 10:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

God send

Wow. Only been a member for less than an hour and the help yall have given me thru your responses has been Huge. Again I can't say thank you enough! It helps so much to talk to my other brothers and sisters who have and are going thru the same thing. To the member who mentioned PAWS I thank you because that really helped. This site is truly a gift and it's such a huge help to get the responses yall have given me. Feel better already.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I started to feel really flat/depressed around 3 months.
At over 5 months now I'm ding much better.
Hope you will get through the tunnel soon,Butler.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I got really serious about quitting in mid October, went 5 weeks, had a 4 hour slip and have been sober since Nov 17 (so sort of about 3 months) and I am in the same boat. I can not shake this depression!! I do suffer from it and have known for quite a few years, but I am on Prozac. Hopefully this lifts soon for both of us.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Butler View Post
Wow. Only been a member for less than an hour and the help yall have given me thru your responses has been Huge. Again I can't say thank you enough! It helps so much to talk to my other brothers and sisters who have and are going thru the same thing. To the member who mentioned PAWS I thank you because that really helped. This site is truly a gift and it's such a huge help to get the responses yall have given me. Feel better already.
We're cool like that Hope you stick with us
Old 01-10-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think the time of year may also have something to do with it. The holidays and winter season seem to affect a lot of people.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

PAWS is definitely effecting me. I have severe anxiety and dealt with depression for last few years.
BUT...since no alcohol, I feel all these emotions, but for some reason without alcohol its much easier to deal with. Even my anxiety. I am panick attack end up in hospital type..but I got xanax from my doctor who is monitoring me, and well I am surprised I am not taking them. JUst fact that I have is placebo for me..
But I do think a combo of sobriety, as well as middle aged issues(i am dealing as well at 40)can lead to this feeling. This group is amazing...
Old 01-10-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I did not know that about posting other, you have to post at least 25 times before you reply. I thought I was able to respond right away..but I may have done that many post on first day, cuz I was a mess.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Age 41 with 40 days sober. Going through the same thing. You are not alone. Don't be afraid to talk with your doctor and tell him/her what is going on. S/he can help. You don't have to suffer with depression. There are lots of different things that can be done to treat it and your doctor get you the help you need.

I've read that PAWS can play a large factor in relapsing. I don't want to risk it so I am doing everything possible to be proactive with it.

Good luck, and feel free to PM me.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi. I'm glad to read this post today. I was definitely dragging a** before I quit. And, I'm still having a hard time. It was on my mind to create a similar post.

I've been googling around today. I learned it can take 4mos to a year or so, to get back to "normal".

I'm not sure if you're in any type of therapy. But, for a lot of people (me included) alcohol is their main coping skill. Without that "medication", you can feel pretty lousy. However, you can learn new coping skills through therapy. It won't happen over night and you'll have to be dedicated (practice the new skills and take meds as prescribed, if needed). But, it can be done!

I'm not sure if anyone else mentioned this, or if you have already- it wouldn't hurt to see your doctor about it. That would be a great way to rule out any underlying physical issues.

Also, even though we're sober- we're still going to have days/phases of blah. It's normal, unfortunately. ;-) But, sometimes it's more than that. So, it really may be best to talk to a professional.

I hope you're feeling better soon.