Notices

Raging pissed off

Old 01-10-2014, 12:15 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I'd offer up that you have the strength to do this without Benzo's Artic. You have already consulted with a doctor and have an appointment next week too, and you are already several days into stopping which would seem to indicate the major symptoms are starting to wane, otherwise I'm sure your doc would have prescribed you something. And of course there is always the ER if something does happen physically that you need immediate attention.

You've already made some posts that you are getting some sleep, and you've joined the weekend thread - all signs that you have what it takes right inside you today to do this thing. I had anxiety and panic issues too, but they all dissipated relatively quickly after I quit. You are a strong person - try channeling some of that rage and emotion into positive thoughts and constructive time. Get mad at how messy the garage is and give it a good cleaning for example ;-) I found my house got a heck of a lot cleaner the first few weeks I was sober!

Obviously listen to your doctor and seek immediate care should something come up, but don't sell yourself short as to what you can do with what you already have in your mind.
Thanks, very good words, but I'm not touching my hubbys garage!haha
Old 01-10-2014, 12:15 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I'm being dead honest from someone who has anxiety/panic issues.

If you truly anticipate withdrawal (or your dr does) to be medically dangerous so as to go through it without and Rx puts you in danger, go to the hospital to detox.

If you are projecting that it will be too hard for you to handle without drugs to calm you, very carefully evaluate that thought. You are already tellign yourself that there are things in life you can't handle without drugs.

How you choose to proceed beyond that is up to you, but I think it's important to see what we are telling ourselves, and what it means.

You went to a dr and told THEM how they should treat you and when they didn't give you what you wanted you went to another dr and told them how to treat you.

You say you were depending on it to help you quit. Thinking that the only way to quit one substance is to replace it with another. And you said you KNOW it would help? Does that mean you tried it before? If it was the key to sobriety why are you having to go through withdrawal again? Did it actually work?

I went through withdrawal from drugs...and they don't give you an anti anxiety pill to get you off anti anxiety pills. Even so, having a breakdown and crying on the kitchen floor is better than being hooked on substances.

I went through alcohol withdrawal without anti anxiety meds too. None of it's fun, but it's doable, and we get to the other side. AND we get to the other side knowing that actually we can get through some pretty tuff and uncomfortable stuff even if a stupid dr won't do what we told them to.

Even if you never ever ever abused an anti anxiety pill in your entire life, withdrawal is probably the most tempting time of all to take as many as possible to end the misery that feels unbearable.

If your dr feels you are not in medical danger from detoxing, the best Rx I know of is to get all pills and booze out of the house. Buy enough food and drink to last 5 days. Get music and movies and books you like. Have a friend who will check in on you from time to time and sweat it out.

Believe me, I know crazy, and I know anxiety, but the above will get the job done if you don't cave and tell yourself you can't do it. You can do it if you are willing to let yourself be really uncomfortable long enough to do it. And it doesn't last forever, and things will be better on the other side and you will NEVER EVER EVER have to do it again if you never start drinking again.

The mindset that ...oh well, if I relapse and have to go through withdrawal again, the nice dr will give me pills to get me through it...really isn't our friend.

I understand how p*ssed off you are and how sucky withdrawal is, but it's the nature of the beast, and we can survive it. Telling ourselves we can't is a lie, the question is will we or won't we do what it takes.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

It sounds to me like you're in a pretty acute situation right now. You would not be the first person to go to the ER with a panic attack. You certainly wouldn't be the first person desperate NOT to drink, suffering with severe anxiety, to go to the ER for help.

There is no sense in white-knuckling it, when there is help available to you medically. I'm sorry, I just don't agree with that mentality at all. Whatever you CAN do to stay sober, is what you SHOULD do. You shouldn't suffer unnecessarily IMO.

Do you think you can go to the ER, find a detox, or be seen by another doctor asap?

PS- I detoxed in the hospital and it was by no means "easy", but I wouldn't have gotten through it alone.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
If your dr feels you are not in medical danger from detoxing, the best Rx I know of is to get all pills and booze out of the house. .
That is some stellar advice that is worth repeating.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Forgive me for sounding judgmental since I haven't had to go through a severe withdrawal before, but isn't taking addictive medication to get rid of an addiction counter-intuitive? I mean then you have to withdrawal from being addicted to the legally prescribed drug?

I'm sure there are some herbal or more natural safer remedies that some kind people on here can recommend.

Actually now that I think about it, does anybody know if Cannabis relieves with withdrawals from Alcohol? I know here in California you can get a legal prescription for Cannabis.

Again forgive me if I upset you, I think you should do what's best for you and if you really need drugs, I guess another doctor or ER or Urgent Care might help you there.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:56 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had severe anxiety and I got through the first week without meds - primarily because I didn't see a Dr.

It wasn't pleasant but then the first week never is - it was doable Arctic and it got better ...I used SR a lot

Naturally though if you're really concerned, the suggestions here for other medical assistance are sound.

SilentCinemaFan - if your Dr prescribes cannabis after hearing your addictive history, that's between you and the Doc - but I don't recommend it - I got into just as much trouble with weed as I did with booze later.

My drinking problem really ramped up when I self medicated with booze to stop smoking weed daily. It went the other way too when I tired to stop drinking so much with weed.

The addictions feed one another. The propensity for cross addiction is high.

D
Old 01-10-2014, 01:03 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Dee, I'm sorry you misunderstood me. I don't use Cannabis nor have been prescribed it. I totally agree with you, if you can get through your sobriety or first week without using anything that would be wonderfully amazing. I was just making a point that weed is probably safer than taking some chemical based benzo drug that causes physical & psychological dependence. I guess maybe the lesser of the two evils.... if you absolutely had to take another drug for anxiety relief...

But I haven't taken cannabis so I'm not sure how well it even works. I just watched documentaries saying that it helps some people and other people can get by fine without it.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:03 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I know I'm not in a life threatening situation. Its been about 65 hours since my last drink, and I haven't had any very severe symptoms.
The reason I really want this rx for Klonopin is because that is what I used for my quit last Feb. the one that stuck for 4 months. I used them on and off for 2 months and it did wonders for my withdrawal and anxiety, when I was getting low, I tapered off and had no problem.
I would like to do it without any drugs (since I have wretched health anxiety as it is and can't even take Nyquil) but just knowing there is such relief out there, makes me want it, obviously.
Weed, I can't do anymore, because of awful paranoia.
I'll probably still get it the 17th because I would really like to have it around.
By then, hopefully being 10 days in my acute stuff will be done.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

A couple of questions- hope that's okay!

So you're ABLE to kick it without meds, but you'd rather not?
Did I misread your post, or did you mention a plan to pick up weed on the 17th? (I'm not sure if that's what you meant as you said weed increases your anxiety, but would like to have it around?)

If you're completely able to detox without medication, why do you think the doctor made you so angry when she didn't prescribe it?

Maybe now isn't the time to suggest it, but- maybe detox/treatment wouldn't be such a bad idea (maybe you've already been?). It really helped me.

Hang in there! Hope you feel better soon.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Prescribing a benzo for a week to help ease w/d is not long enough to get addicted to the pills. It's generally a low dose and just for a few days to get over the worst of the w/d.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

also try teething tablets. They sell at store for babies. They have valerian root and chamomile. It helps a little. I take xanax now because I went to a Psychiatrist. The regular MDs would not help me.
I used to be a Pharmacy Tech...Try to call your old Doctor and leave message. Call Pharmacy back and tell them THEY NEED TO send request to Doctor now. In the pharmacy we are not supposed to deny sending rx requests as long as no abuse involved. Doctor either yes or no. That may help get something by this evening.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EverySngleNight View Post
A couple of questions- hope that's okay!

So you're ABLE to kick it without meds, but you'd rather not?
Did I misread your post, or did you mention a plan to pick up weed on the 17th? (I'm not sure if that's what you meant as you said weed increases your anxiety, but would like to have it around?)

If you're completely able to detox without medication, why do you think the doctor made you so angry when she didn't prescribe it?

Maybe now isn't the time to suggest it, but- maybe detox/treatment wouldn't be such a bad idea (maybe you've already been?). It really helped me.

Hang in there! Hope you feel better soon.
Oh, no, I meant getting Klonopin on the 17th, can't touch weed, makes me think I'm dying.
I guess I can detox without it, because I am, but Im thinking of last time I had had a long quit was with Klonopin,
And I got angry because they have my records, I obviously don't abuse it, Im seeing her in 7 days anyway, and theyre just being stubborn idiots.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

I dunno about other places but here in Oz my practice won't refill scrips or dispense new ones without a face to face visit - no exceptions, doesn't matter how long I've been with them, or whether I'm the Dalai Lama.

D
Old 01-10-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

isn't it true tho you are getting thru this without any serious side effects and on day 3 already? and isn't that a good thing? i dunno, i don't think your dr is an idiot at all....yes s/he said NO to you, but you ARE doing ok without any additional meds. see we run into trouble when we already have the idea of WHAT drug we want them to GIVE us before we step foot in the office. that's not the way dr's work (usually), we don't just go in and say ok, this is what i want and why so grab that pad and get busy writing.

how wonderful to be completely 100% drug and alcohol free!
Old 01-10-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Day 3 is usually the worse and you are hanging in there even if it's not been easy.

Wishing you the best tonight and tomorrow will be a better day.

thinking of you................
Old 01-10-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
how wonderful to be completely 100% drug and alcohol free!
I guess? I mean I know it is wonderful to be alcohol free, but I really don't know what is worse, taking benzos for a couple weeks to mellow my racing brain, or chew my lips off and lay awake in bed thinking of all the ways I could be dying. I'm such a spaz.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:22 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kris47 View Post
Day 3 is usually the worse and you are hanging in there even if it's not been easy.

Wishing you the best tonight and tomorrow will be a better day.

thinking of you................
yeah, day 3 SUCKS
Old 01-10-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Well, I hope you're okay. Sometimes withdrawal doesn't get "bad" for a few days. Please do go to the ER or urgent care this weekend if you don't improve or if you get worse. They won't "lock you up"! So, don't allow that fear to stop you from getting help if you need it!! They'll likely just give you medication and a follow up plan. (something that your doctor could've easily done!)

I know it's really common for us alcoholics to downplay how much we drink to our doctors- hopefully you didn't, because that's a surefire way NOT to get the medical support you may actually need.

I'm slightly blown away that the doctor didn't put you on a vitamin at least! (did they?) The fact is, there ARE certain medical protocols to follow when dealing with alcohol dependent patients. ESPECIALLY when they've been through several withdrawals. You're far less likely to relapse during the "acute phase" of your withdrawal, with medical management. That's not to say that it's impossible without it!! Far from true, as many other posters have mentioned. I'm just VERY surprised by your treatment. I'm sorry, but unless I'm missing something- I don't think this doc is handling your case well at all.

I have been through the wringer with doctors and dealt with all kinds of hell. Sometimes they have attitudes or "beliefs" about things and diagnose and prescribe based on that, rather than following their medical training. That's not cool. Get a 2nd opinion at least!!

Why do you have to wait until the 17th? (sry if you already explained and I missed it!)
Old 01-10-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you are getting through this and knowing that you can get through it without medication is going to be a positive thing for you. I detoxed by myself, long before I found SR, so I didn't have a clue that drs could prescribe medication to help with withdrawal. I still vividly remember those days and how horrible I felt on every level and that was a big help in keeping me in recovery.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I have gone to the ER for severe anxiety/withdrawal. They helped me and I wasn't committed. It is always an option.