SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   What is your maximum a day/week? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/319075-what-your-maximum-day-week.html)

Cengiz 01-10-2014 05:34 AM

What is your maximum a day/week?

I've never drunk on a daily basis,only twice a week until I quit 11 months ago(over the last 2 months I drink once a week).When I used to drink too much,it was about 5 doubles of whiskey,then I would stop for 3 days and then drink again.

I have a friend who drinks everyday like 7-8 bottles of beer and a big bottle of vodka and that is daily!I keep telling him that he'll definitely get seriously sick some day but he would not listen.

İf you are a daily drinker or a binge drinker what is your maximum?Of course it depends on the alcohol content of what you drink.

Mountainmanbob 01-10-2014 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Cengiz (Post 4399312)

İf you are a daily drinker or a binge drinker what is your maximum?Of course it depends on the alcohol content of what you drink.

thinking that most here are not daily drinkers
I come to this site because it is a sobriety site
ones sober and others with the desire to be sober
and their families and friends

but to answer your question
when I drank
I kept a strong buzz on all day long
this required many, many drinks per day

if your friend is drinking "7-8 bottles of beer and a big bottle of vodka daily"
you did right to tell them that this just may cause them to be seriously sick in time
many who drank such as this have an early death

Mountainman

ReadyAtLast 01-10-2014 05:44 AM

Most people on here don't drink or aretrying to quit. Are you looking to quit drinking?

Tang 01-10-2014 05:44 AM

Sorry I removed my post.

deeker 01-10-2014 05:46 AM

Not sure this thread would benefit those trying to recover. We are trying to not think about drinking.

Skye2 01-10-2014 05:48 AM

I always worry when I see posts asking how much people drank. Dangerous limits vary as much as height/weight/age does and it's all too easy for someone to come along and think 'Oh, I must be ok because I don't drink as much as X,Y or Z' and be lulled into a false sense of security.

By human nature, if someone is taking the time to google an addiction site, then it's a pretty safe bet, they have a problem.

koko 01-10-2014 05:48 AM

The last year or so I was a huge binge drinker,mostly liquor,whiskey,vodka..whatever.I would start and drink round the clock in order to avoid withdrawl for about 3-4 days.Then the withdrawl would be a few awful days ,sometimes I would drink beer to try to ease that but it was really bad in the end.Than of course I would start to feel hman and start all over!!!Not anymore.....today

KateL 01-10-2014 06:06 AM

I drank about half to a bottle of spirits a day until I passed out. Not good. Even when I only drank the half, not good because I am small and had low tolerance. It's not good for anyone to drink on a daily basis or even binge on huge amounts. x

Cengiz 01-10-2014 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by deeker (Post 4399335)
Not sure this thread would benefit those trying to recover. We are trying to not think about drinking.

İf ''thinking of drinking'' makes you drink,then you are not fully prepared to give up!Unless alcohol is banned in the whole world,there are very very few places where you won't see people not drinking!The most important thing is not to drink even when you think of it!

My thread was only a curious one. As someone said like most here are binge drinkers,I strongly think binge drinking is not like daily heavily consumption.I know people who binge drink once every 3-4 weeks and it is quite different than waking up in the morning and looking for a drink.I do not encourage anybody at all

Skye2 01-10-2014 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Cengiz (Post 4399378)
İf ''thinking of drinking'' makes you drink,then you are not fully prepared to give up!Unless alcohol is banned in the whole world,there are very very few places where you won't see people not drinking!The most important thing is not to drink even when you think of it!

My thread was only a curious one. As someone said like most here are binge drinkers,I strongly think binge drinking is not like daily heavily consumption.I know people who binge drink once every 3-4 weeks and it is quite different than waking up in the morning and looking for a drink.I do not encourage anybody at all

I think with her just having just passed a YEAR sober - Deeker is more than ready :)

ReadyAtLast 01-10-2014 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Cengiz (Post 4399378)
İf ''thinking of drinking'' makes you drink,then you are not fully prepared to give up!

I disagree.

For me,when I quit and in the first few days/weeks of quitting, thinking of drinking occupied most of my time!! That in no way meant I picked up or wasn't fully prepared to quit or indeed ready to quit. No one can say when another is ready or not.

Are you looking to quit drinking?

Cengiz 01-10-2014 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast (Post 4399397)
I disagree.

For me,when I quit and in the first few days/weeks of quitting, thinking of drinking occupied most of my time!! That in no way meant I picked up or wasn't fully prepared to quit or indeed ready to quit. No one can say when another is ready or not.

Are you looking to quit drinking?

Everybody is different ReadyAtLast.I've been drinking for at least 30 years and during this time I must have given it up at many many times;sometimes for 3 months,6 months ,a year...

As to whether I want to quit for good( as you look for the answer),no,not for good as long as I can keep a good health and do not increase the amount I drink.

Skye2 01-10-2014 06:40 AM

Hi Cengiz :) Forgive me if I'm being stupid (I've got a flu bug and it's making me dozy) but I'm at a loss to understand what it is that you're wanting from SR?

It's great to have you with us, so don't take that the wrong way, it's just confusing me.

sugarbear1 01-10-2014 06:41 AM

check out What's a standard drink? - Rethinking Drinking - NIAAA

James18 01-10-2014 06:44 AM

Just as a mechanism to disgust/remind myself and for the curiosity of the OP, yesterday I drank just over half a litre of vodka, two Guinness, three fruit ciders and a couple of Stella Artois. And yes I am ill today and having withdrawals. I drank daily for the last week but not quite as much as this. I've drank more than this many times, which is/was dangerous and caused me to address my drinking problem.

ClearMind 01-10-2014 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Skye2 (Post 4399337)
I always worry when I see posts asking how much people drank. Dangerous limits vary as much as height/weight/age does and it's all too easy for someone to come along and think 'Oh, I must be ok because I don't drink as much as X,Y or Z' and be lulled into a false sense of security.

By human nature, if someone is taking the time to google an addiction site, then it's a pretty safe bet, they have a problem.

I agree. For some people, drinking once a week or once every two weeks can potentially be a problem. Even less than that even. The bottom line is, if you believe alcohol is a problem in your life, then it is, no matter how frequently or infrequently you drink.

foolsgold66 01-10-2014 06:49 AM

Lots. I never reached my maximum, or I wouldn't be here.

Nonsensical 01-10-2014 06:49 AM

I am sorry, but Nonsensical's AV has been very bad, and it can't come out to play with your AV today.

Cengiz 01-10-2014 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Skye2 (Post 4399434)
Hi Cengiz :) Forgive me if I'm being stupid (I've got a flu bug and it's making me dozy) but I'm at a loss to understand what it is that you're wanting from SR?

It's great to have you with us, so don't take that the wrong way, it's just confusing me.

I do not want anything from SR!I only put forward a question like''what is your max''.İf that means reminding people of getting back to drink,then there are too many things or occasions that will remind them!İf you go to a place and see people drinking that will suddenly make you drink,you can't quit at all!Best way of quitting ,in my opinion is when you are fully determined!no matter whether drinking is a talking matter!Otherwise you are back to your drinking and that you are just convincing yourself!

Skye2 01-10-2014 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Cengiz (Post 4399459)
I do not want anything from SR!I only put forward a question like''what is your max''.İf that means reminding people of getting back to drink,then there are too many things or occasions that will remind them!İf you go to a place and see people drinking that will suddenly make you drink,you can't quit at all!Best way of quitting ,in my opinion is when you are fully determined!no matter whether drinking is a talking matter!Otherwise you are back to your drinking and that you are just convincing yourself!

I see your point but I'm sure I read that you are still drinking? Therefore, I assumed that by joining a site that's dedicated to quitting - something in you, must be wanting to stop?