Notices

I could use some encouragement...

Old 06-17-2004, 10:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

I could use some encouragement...

couldn't we all i suppose!
i've got almost 4 months but have basically just taken out the drinking and still feel like i'm following all the same patterns and behaviors...
i need some sort of routine...
any of you have a daily routine in terms of recovery?
anyone know the 3rd step prayer?
thanks,
*Rebecca*
Old 06-17-2004, 10:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Wonderful on collecting the one day at a times - 4 months GREAT!

Reflection on the steps daily. Search your inner self as you go over the steps in your thoughts.
What it took for me... I started reading the bible and following the steps through, as they were shown to me from God's word. In areas I had no control or ability to change is where I asked for His help in bringing a change.

I am still in awe to the things God has done in my life.
Old 06-18-2004, 06:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Rebecca..welcome to SoberRecovery....you'll get the best help and support from the gang here.

Almost 4 Months....Fantastic

I've changed my routine and it's helped....I joined an exercise place...and got a puppy a couple months ago, and it's helping. I think any kind of change will help.

Wishing you the best on your journey to sobriety, you're doing awesome, keep up the wonderful job.

Love....Denise
Old 06-18-2004, 06:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Rebecca,

Denise is right. Change anything at all in your life and you'll notice a difference. For me that also includes thought patterns. I just can't wallow in the guilt and shame because that leads me right back to wanting to drink to escape the guilt and shame. I have to consciously make myself think positively!

Love, Anna
Old 06-18-2004, 06:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dan

Third Step Prayer.

God,
I offer myself to Thee,
To build with me and do with me as thou wilt
Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do Thy will,
Take away my difficulties, that victory over them may bear witness
To those I would help of Thy power, Thy love and Thy way of life.
May I do Thy will always!

NA 3rd step prayer:
Take my will and my life,
Guide me in my recovery,
Show me how to live.

Welcome to SoberRecovery Rebecca
Old 06-18-2004, 07:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi Rebecca,
congratulations on the almost 4 months! That you have been able to put together that many days in a row means you already HAVE changed a good deal...

3rd step prayer as I use it in my daily life: (I believe there is a longer version, but this works too!)

"God, grant me the knowledge of your will for me and give me the power to carry it out."

It is a beautiful prayer... simple and truly, for me, the most important thing I could ever hope to have in my life, because the will of my higher power will never be anything that could be harmful to me, ultimately... and my OWN will may SEEM to me to be what I THINK is best for me, but I truly cannot know. If I pray for knowledge of my HP's will and not my own, well, I am praying for an understanding of the best path I can take toward my own spiritual growth and personal freedom on so many levels... freedom from the obsession to use is only the beginning.

It is a great beginning to a change in routine though... if we start each day seeking that kind of knowledge, well, we are setting the daily stage for a new path. And we can continue to pray for that over and over again throughout the day as well. As far as changing the rest of the routine, well, it wasn't hard for me to do that, as my addiction took me so low that my whole life was pretty much dictated by my using... so stopping meant that almost EVERYTHING changed as a matter of course! But practically speaking, there is a whole lot that we can do.

I go to Narcotics Anonymous to get my local support for my recovery and in our fellowship there is a pamphlet called "Living the Program." In it, there are many questions listed, intended for us to kind of ask ourselves at the end of each day... questions that can help us keep focused on the things we need to incorporate into our lives on a daily basis to accomplish change. It asks things like,

Did I call my sponsor today?
Did I go to a meeting today?
Did I lie today?
Did I feel sad today?
Did I feel hope today?
Did I pick up the phone and call somebody who supports me in my recovery today?
What did I do today that I wish I hadn't?
What did I do today that I am glad I did?

and lots, lots more... in addition to that, I have found things that make me feel good about myself when I do them and I have tried to incorporate them into my life... reading (recovery literature and fiction...), yoga, MEETINGS MEETINGS MEETINGS, I make a point of trying to actually COOK good meals each night, and to do it before 8 or 9 pm - big thing for me... there is a LOT we can do...

I think it is great that you are looking for more ways to change, but don't beat yourself up if it takes time to find your way... you are already ON YOUR WAY!!!! the time you have put together is HUGE, you are doing GREAT!

welcome!

hugshugshugs, amanda
Old 06-18-2004, 07:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Rebecca,

The 3rd step prayer is God, take my will and my life, guide me in my recovery, show me how to live, Basic text. pg 25., also a good prayer is the 11th step prayer that amanda posted, or the Service prayer in the basic text, Introduction, pg xvi, For daily purposes, just change the word 'write' to the word 'live'.

One tool I was given in early recovery, I was told to use the Pamphlet "Living the Program". Ask yourself the questions in it at the end of each day, then the next morning, read your answers and repeat the behaviors that you liked that worked, and try to change the others.

Having almost 4 months clean is great, and you probably have more of a routine than you realize, you just can't see it yet. Take a look at your day.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
New and Unsure

Rebbecca-

I also have found a routine in my life that works for me. It dose incluse alot of reading, praying and reflecting. I love my journal and when I feel as thought I am getting into that behavior I write how I feel and what I am thinking and then call my sponsor. The journal helps me express to her how I am feeling.

I think you are probable in more of a routine than you relize.