Notices

Ten days later..

Old 01-09-2014, 11:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ten days later..

Morning all, After three months sober I drank for a few days over Christmas as I have posted here before. However I am pleased to say I am back on track and it it now ten days since I put down that last drink!

There's more. For the weeks leading up to my lapse I was very flat of mood, really very down and depressed. I put this down to my brain chemistry readjusting after years of alcohol abuse. In the end during the Christmas period I just said to hell with it and drank to relieve the mood I was in.

It worked for a couple of days too. However the writing was on the wall for me and I could see the destination well in advance - back to where I was three months earlier - and very quickly. I just felt horrible drinking all of a sudden.

I also came to the conclusion that my mood was at least in part a sort of 'sulk' that I was depriving myself of the substance I had come to rely on for so long.

Whatever the reason I picked myself up, got back to AA meetings and have now been sober for ten days. What is more my mood is much better and I feel pretty good on that score, so perhaps my theory is right about the 'sulk'.

Alcohol is cunning and baffling as they say. But I really do feel (cautiously!) that I am beginning to defeat it!
Old 01-10-2014, 12:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on ten days Mentium

D
Old 01-10-2014, 12:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good going, Mentium! The booze definitely gets inside your head and messes with you. But it's good to see you're getting a handle on things again.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on ten days and a whole new start!
Old 01-10-2014, 02:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

Originally Posted by Mentium View Post
Morning all, After three months sober I drank for a few days over Christmas as I have posted here before. However I am pleased to say I am back on track and it it now ten days since I put down that last drink!

There's more. For the weeks leading up to my lapse I was very flat of mood, really very down and depressed. I put this down to my brain chemistry readjusting after years of alcohol abuse. In the end during the Christmas period I just said to hell with it and drank to relieve the mood I was in.

It worked for a couple of days too. However the writing was on the wall for me and I could see the destination well in advance - back to where I was three months earlier - and very quickly. I just felt horrible drinking all of a sudden.

I also came to the conclusion that my mood was at least in part a sort of 'sulk' that I was depriving myself of the substance I had come to rely on for so long.

Whatever the reason I picked myself up, got back to AA meetings and have now been sober for ten days. What is more my mood is much better and I feel pretty good on that score, so perhaps my theory is right about the 'sulk'.

Alcohol is cunning and baffling as they say. But I really do feel (cautiously!) that I am beginning to defeat it!
Our experiences are so similar, it is scary. Well done on 10 days. I am on 9 days. I will be on your tail for the rest of journey.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Congrats on then days x
Old 01-10-2014, 03:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
AA member

Good news Mentium,pleased to hear you are back on track.

Congratulations on your sober time.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Way to learn from the experience, Mentium!! Glad you're feeling better, too!