Notices

Depression is Confusing Me

Old 01-07-2014, 09:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Depression is Confusing Me

Hi-

Here come the mood swings at four months sober. Tonight I am feeling depressed. About what I'm not even sure. I went to two meetings today and spent time with some sober people that I haven't seen in awhile. It was great to see everyone and get out of the house in this weather. Why do I feel so crazy depressed for no reason? I just want to cry but the tears won't come. It's times like these I need to go to bed and get a good night sleep and hopefully wake up refreshed and feeling well.

Thanks for listening. Just had to get the frustration out. Must be PAWS. PAWS go away!!!

Old 01-07-2014, 09:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sometimes we just have bad days Inca - I hope this is just a bad night and you''ll feel better tomorrow

D
Old 01-07-2014, 09:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Four months sober is amazing. My first AA meeting, it was this guy's 4 month sobriety date. He mentioned while speaking that his wife had text him about an hour before the meeting that she was getting a divorce.

A week later, he showed up at the meeting and did NOT relapse. He sounded miserable but he did not relapse.

If he can do it, so can you.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Depression doesn't need a reason. Sometimes it's just that unwelcome guest that won't leave. It's one of the main reasons I drank and used for so many years. I've finally getting a handle on my depression. That being said I still have days where I find myself saying "what's the point?". That being said most days, now that I'm sober, I can kick my depression to the curb. Life is good.

Hang in there. Be well.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I too am about four months and I'm SOOo freaking sick of this!! Taking a shower is difficult, eating who cares?, work are you kidding me? So I went to my behavioral health clinic and sat my butt until the DR saw me. I told him I'm seriously sick of feeling like I could care less if I died tomorrow. This is 2014 we have the technology to treat this!! So he gave me a script for a fast acting antidepressant and I got back in a month to het a psychoanalytical exam to determine if my depression is depression, PAWS, bi-polar - to make sure I'm on the RIGHT meds.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I understand, Inca. I have been feeling kind of low lately, too. I am 101 days sober. I know that drinking isn't going to help with the lows, though. If I keep feeling this way, I am going to follow Jaylaa's lead and deal with this healthfully.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Depression is a lurking demon. I have suffered for years and been on a thousand different meds. Today I've found that exercise and meditation seems to work better then all those psych meds. However, I still am consumed at times with depression and anxiety. It is what it is and nothing a drink or drug doesn't make worse. This is a good place for some support and give yourself a break. Google self-compassion there are some good books out there on how we can treat ourselves better. I'm notorious for beating myself up! The book "The Mindful Life to Self-Compassion" is very good. Along with support meetings, therapy, etc. I've got to use every resource at my disposal. Hang tough!
Old 01-08-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

A LOT of people feel depressed at this time of year due to day length issues etc. So that might be factoring in as well.

Don't give up hope, or beat yourself up. It's normal to have ups, down, and phases, many times I think us addicts and alcoholics think it means something is very wrong...and we must do something to change it.

I mean, there is nothing wrong with treating lingering depression, but sometimes it can be hard for us to guage what is an issue and what isn't, especially in early sobriety.

But short term, long term, whatever...depression just sucks.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had depression like that recently , i think it was connected to financial concerns and my kids future etc
I forced myself to imagine things that make me happy and imagine a time in the future where i have everything i need
It worked and i feel i have shifted that depression for a while
Old 01-08-2014, 08:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've seen it over and over again, Inca. Untreated alcoholism looks a whole lot like depression. I'm not trying to diagnose or imply you don't have other problems, but there are a couple million AA members who recognize that their alcoholism goes way beyond not drinking. Asking yourself, "What Step am I on," might be the key to this problem.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Inca - depression is caused by imbalances in our brains.

I personally don't really believe in PAWS... more think that these are normal experiences that every human being without addictions also goes through - just human nature, normal fluctuations of our mental, emotional states. When we drink (or use drugs), I think these mental states are just masked... and when we quit, we need to learn to deal with them, sometimes feelings (and physiological states) we have never dealt with before.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I nearly started a new thread on this yesterday. At 74-days I would have thought things would be a little brighter. I'm not in a wonderful place, but do know I'm headed in the right direction. I'm having a really hard time staying motivated to do what I should each day. Feels like a dark cloud is following me around. I don't feel like drinking, and I know that wouldn't offer the solution I seek, but I hope I don't have months to grind through more of this. The only time I feel better is after a workout, which I try to do 6 days a week.

Add: We are starting step work next weekend, I hope that will help me to unload whatever baggage that's causing me to feel this way. I may experiment with diet and vitamins in an effort to combat the chemical side of things.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. It helps so much to know I'm not alone with these ups and downs. I went to bed and felt much better when I woke up. Worked out this morning and that feels good physically and mentally. Charging forward!
Old 01-08-2014, 11:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

Get on the phone and talk to another and ask how their day is going. Time to get out of self.

You are healing and this is part of the emotional healing process. It's really you needing more contact with others and not acknowledging it, at least it was for me. Talking to another helped me a whole lot!!! And I got some friends out of the process.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Inca View Post
Hi-

Here come the mood swings at four months sober. Tonight I am feeling depressed. About what I'm not even sure. I went to two meetings today and spent time with some sober people that I haven't seen in awhile. It was great to see everyone and get out of the house in this weather. Why do I feel so crazy depressed for no reason? I just want to cry but the tears won't come. It's times like these I need to go to bed and get a good night sleep and hopefully wake up refreshed and feeling well.

Thanks for listening. Just had to get the frustration out. Must be PAWS. PAWS go away!!!

congrats on 4 months sober. In early sobriety my depression was terrible, now that I have more time and continued to worked the steps it has gotten much better. Please give your sobriety some time.