Notices

What happened to me over Christmas/New Years

Old 01-09-2014, 03:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What happened to me over Christmas/New Years

So, I told everyone that I tried to go to treatment just after New Year's, but I didn't provide the back story.

I received a bottle of vodka for christmas, from a collegue at work. Yes, I know. Now they have been told I no longer drink, but I had not done that before. I started in the early afternoon of the friday after Christmas. I woke up with a hell of a hangover. Went and bought more and drank all day saturday. By sunday, I was out of booze and the liquor stores are closed. In come the vanilla extract. I told my family I wasn't feeling well and basically spent all day saturday and sunday in bed. Got some beer sunday afternoon and was drinking that. It didnt help much, since the alcohol content is so low. About 3 in the morning went to the ER with anxiety. Didn't tell them about the drinking. Left with 10 Xanax. They did little to help me. Woke up Monday and was back at the liquor store, and same tuesday.

As a side note, I will state that there is a definite liquor store sub-culture of alcoholics that sit outside the store and wait for it to open. I saw the same group of people each morning I went when it opened.

Wednesday, new years day, I drank some and something clicked. I pulled my wife aside and told her I need to go to rehab. We got things in order and I had someone take me to detox (rehab wouldn't take me drunk). Told my kids I have to go to the doctor and will be gone a few days. One of them just began sobbing uncontrollably. Left, went to detox. Got admitted and it was shift change. Didn't get my meds when I got in. Called my wife to see how my little one was and he was still very sad. Proceeded to check myself out of detox and went home. The drink that morning (morning of the 1st) was my last. Felt terriable on Thursday and Friday, then began to come around. I couldn't sleep worth a damn because I was so traumatized by the experience. I did learn a lot from it though.

I think I told the rest, tried to go to outpatient rehab, but they wanted me to go to inpatient first. I have an appointment with an addiction therapist next week.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

So sorry, you must have been in hell and I know, having been there myself on numerous occasions. I am glad you have stopped and are seeking proper help. Good luck and welcome back to sobriety xxxxxxx
Old 01-09-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad your back Ethos. Hope the counsellor helps

D
Old 01-09-2014, 03:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Ethos23. You'll find a lot of support here.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Ethos,

I too am trying to quit at the moment, after only a few weeks of heavy drinking. I am finding it ridiculously hard, and it doesn't help that access to detox is nigh on impossible in this country, and aftercare/relapse prevention even harder. I may not be able to offer a magic solution, but we are all here for support. Good for you trying to remain sober - you have given me hope that I may soon be able to do the same. x
Old 01-09-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

may your journey of sobriety bring you freedom....

keep on it, you can do this.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Ethos it sounds like your youngster is pretty traumatised by all this. I hope that gives you the motivation you need. Think about it when you feel like a drink. All the best, don't give up.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you're trying again.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hope the consultation will help. The fact that you are not drinking is a major step and you should be proud. And the fact you don't drink will increase your quality of life little, days by day. Just hang on, don't drink and I guarantee things will turn around.

I have a little one also, he's my inspiration. I want to bring him fishing next summer, and I will be sober instead of drinking like a fish.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

"They did little to help me."

They might have been able to help you more if you were totally honest with them.