Notices

Step Meeting

Old 01-09-2014, 10:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Step Meeting

Hello all,

I went to the step meeting this morning. I find it really helpful to hear about everyone's experiences with alcohol and stopping drinking. It seems like the relationship with a higher power is paramount in sobriety. I don't really have a relationship with a higher power. I need to try to cultivate one.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

we cultivate that by working the steps.

none of them really did anything for me until I worked through to step 7, then they seemed to come to life......specifically step 2

the steps that we read are a summary of what we've done, not necessarily what we do
Old 01-09-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

good advice from Sugarbear. If we wait till we have that relationship to work the steps...we might find we don't get it, we keep floundering around.

Working the steps is the program. We don't have to know how to do them, or how they work to do them. Like learning to read, we do it by jumping in and learning as we go.

Also, trust the process and trust that your HP will reveal itself as you go. Don't have to know what it is, looks like or how it operates in order to do the steps. Don't have to use someone else's HP or think yours will be like theirs. Stay open minded and willing.

Welcome to recovery, it's awesome.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

the purpose of those steps is to help us establish a relationship with a power greater than us
Old 01-09-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What sugarbear1 is saying is what I found to be true as well. It's far more simple than most people think. The steps are laid out to do exactly that, give you that relationship with a higher power.