Notices

Confession

Old 01-09-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

It's a good point. There's just one Newcomers forum but support for a number of addictions as well as F&F here. Sometimes I have to stay out of here myself because I'm tired of hearing the same 'I can't quit drinking' story over and over.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Oh Jaynie, great laugh, thank you!

I was so shocked by the overwhelming sugar cravings in the beginning. Like jdooner, I thought that I was going to lose all this weight when I stopped drinking gallons of wine. I did, for like a month, then I started gaining. And gaining.

I basically set up a lawn chair in the bulk food section of the local Wegman's (their bulk food section is nothing short of orgasmic, really) and I would engage in hand-to-hand combat with anyone who dared try to oust me from my vantage point.

I gained about 15 pounds and, being a little under 5'3, let's just say it showed...quickly. People were like, "Oh! You look so much better these days, your skin is clearer, your eyes brighter..." Then I could just see their eyes taking a walk down my body and hear them thinking, "And your ass so much fatter!!"

Happy to say that the intense cravings cut out around my seventh or eighth month and my weight stabilized again. I still go for a midnight walk in the garden of my freezer armed with nothing but a spoon and a mission but I have learned to stock it with frozen yogurt these days, rather than Ben and Jerrys.

Great laugh, thanks again!!
Old 01-09-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Points well taken. Perhaps I should have placed this elsewhere…but sugar, food, sleep and caffeine are recurring themes here and I believe a number of us are surprised to see what sweeps in on the tide of sobriety.

The post was meant to address my late night creative eating forays…I did not mention weight on purpose. I have always believed that where you stand depends on where you sit, and while I pride myself on generally being fairly obtuse in my sensitivities perhaps I missed here. And perhaps this reads like a script to someone who has been down a road I haven't traveled. Maybe this is what a normie feels like when we talk about drinking….they don't understand because they really have never experienced what we go through.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
waking down

Originally Posted by foolsgold66 View Post
It's a good point. There's just one Newcomers forum but support for a number of addictions as well as F&F here. Sometimes I have to stay out of here myself because I'm tired of hearing the same 'I can't quit drinking' story over and over.
I could see this happening. What's new to some is old hat to others. You could add some experience and wisdom, though.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I love the thread and it made me laugh bc I could relate. It is in this laughter that threads like this can get us to think differently about something.

Sometimes finding humor in our own maladies is exactly what the doctor prescribes. Plus the laughter got my abs firing again, so maybe I even worked on my physique in the process. Thanks Jaynie - you should copyright the 5 min abs workout with laughter - while munching on frozen waffles with Jam (maybe a new title is needed). Watch out Shaun T.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Originally Posted by jaynie04 View Post
And perhaps this reads like a script to someone who has been down a road I haven't traveled. Maybe this is what a normie feels like when we talk about drinking….they don't understand because they really have never experienced what we go through.
I think that is how it hit me.

I think the post was fine, and that this was a fine place to put it. But it did hit me like the script of a nightmare I am familiar with.

And the fact that I reacted to it in no way means or implies there is anything wrong with the post.

Others shared their reactions, mostly that they laughed and enjoyed it, no problem.

We need to see, hear and learn about all different types of experiences.

I never want to see anyone here or SR in general to not feel like we can talk about anything.

Honestly, my reaction was just MY reaction, no judgement, no finger wagging. I think it does give folks here a chance to remember that there are lots of things WE don't "get", or understand too. Never hurts to have another perspective.

I really enjoy and gain much from your posts Jaynie and would never want you to change in any way.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Threshold, I understand your post, and I had s brief flash of, "hmmmm, hope that is under control."

I had a similar reaction once, to a thread where posters were joking about falls and other mishaps they had while drunk, back in the day. It was not at all funny to me, because my husband lost his father, and his father left 6 children with is widow, because of a cerebral hemorrhage from a drunken fall. My association with drunken falls is anything but comical, but really, it is often classic sitcom fare.

Our exepriences can color our view of a topic, but does not mean it should not be here, as you said.

I did have a good chuckel over the mini candy cane one, Jaynie. I am not a candy cane lover. Had I not become diabetic, I would definitely be binge eating more than I have. I do find myself getting into the chips and chocolate and ice cream, but try to steer clear fo straight up sugar. I have to watch my portions now, even if I binge. But it keeps me from gaining back all the weight I lost a few years ago!
Old 01-09-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Funny because it's so true. I need to look up that L-Glutamine thing!
Old 01-09-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jaynie04 View Post
And perhaps this reads like a script to someone who has been down a road I haven't traveled. Maybe this is what a normie feels like when we talk about drinking….they don't understand because they really have never experienced what we go through.
Absolutely - totally insightful. As someone who had an ED for many years, it did read like that esp in the recovery forum. I wasn't triggered - just concerned. I wanted to make sure you were ok and people weren't just laughing at you and you were actually struggling
Old 01-09-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Jaynie's eating experiences aren't funny, but the way she wrote about them is, to me at least. I think there's a difference between the two.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:52 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

I could get offended everytime someone here calls something spastic or laughs when people fall over...but I don't because I know the post is not about me, a man who happens to live with cerebral palsy....

I think it's fine not to post in a thread if something annoys you or triggers you.

Jaynie is sharing something from her own life, and clearly meant no harm or aspersions upon anyone else.

let's get it together. folks.

if you want to argue, PM me.
D
Old 01-09-2014, 08:52 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
waking down

I have a love/hate relationship with sugar, and cravings recently have been intense. Diabetes is a genetic issue in my family, though, and my triglycerides weren't great last time I got checked, so I'm trying to be good. Not a hell of a lot of success, but I'm transitioning to fruit, anyway. I need to get religious about avoiding refined sugar.

I would imagine eating disorders could be more challenging than alcoholism. After all, one cannot go cold turkey from food. Gotta eat. And need some (unrefined) sugar in our diets.

I don't meet criteria for an eating disorder, but in this society I feel like healthy eating is a life-long struggle. Work is the worst - donuts and crap everywhere - and people give me a hard time for saying no. I've even considered just telling people I have diabetes to get them to shut up. Telling people I'm an alcoholic certainly gets people to back off when it comes to pressure to drink.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:04 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Magsie

Initially, I laughed at your post, jaynie, then felt guilty when I read more posts on the addictive ness of sweet stuff. Sorry to all who disagreed, please excuse my ignorance.

But for now, I'm going to take it at face value, and thankyou for lightening my day and I'm sure after the pain we all went through of booze we can get our sweet/sugar addiction controlled. And if not we are experts at getting the tools to stop. X

P.S. What is frozen Graham cracker crust , not heard of it in the UK x
P.P.S. I'd rather have a glass of water any day than my haagen dags vanilla ice cream lol x

Last edited by Mags1; 01-09-2014 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Spelling