Notices

New addiction caffeine and sugar

Old 01-09-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New addiction caffeine and sugar

I quit alcohol and cigarettes but find myself out of control sometimes with the coffee and sugar and go on a binge. I guess things could be worse! I'm just prone to compulsive behavior.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I feel ya. I definitly drink more coffee when I'm sober and my sweet tooth gets stronger too. I've been on an excess sugar ban since the new year (just fruit). Don't be too hard on yourself about it though, escpecially if you're early into your recovery. I've never heard of anyone ruining their life with Starbucks..
Old 01-09-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I do the same thing. I don't crave sugar until I stop drinking. I heard its common.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is why there's always cookies, cake or candy at AA meetings - sugar intake is very common way to curb an immediate craving. In general balancing your diet with healthy foods can help, but the causes of addiction run FAR deeper than diet. Sugar intake is just helpful in early sobriety to feel less jittery. Too much caffeine can work against you though and make you feel edgy, so keep an eye on how much of the Joe you're drinking, and if you feel like taking a drink, pick up the phone and call someone who can help and will support your decision to stay sober.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Very common, I have voracious cravings for sugar as soon as Im on day 2. I can swallow a whole candybar down with hardly even tasting it, just needed the sugar. Its definitely like a drug. But a heck of a lot better than alcohol and it can be dealt with later.