Notices

Totally lost

Old 01-09-2014, 09:52 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Well I love women. I feel attractive and strong these days, I think I can find another girl outside of AA. Probably a bad idea though. See I was not really physically attracted to this person before I talked to her. I like intelligence. This sucks, we got along so well.

I still feel sick all the time. Maybe I should go running again.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:54 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Administrator

I waited until I knew who sober me was - and until I knew I wouldn't go off the deep end back into addiction - before I offered myself and my life to someone else Ach.

I'm still glad I did it that way

D
Old 01-09-2014, 09:55 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Courage. About a month ago a woman in AA told me maybe some people date newcomers because they do not think they would have a chance with that person once they are sober and all together.

Not to sound conceited, but after I played piano at a meeting and then guitar at my place I do not think she could resist.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:58 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

She also said being physical made her want to drink because sex and being drunk went together for her. Also drugs, which were not part of my story.

I also have a knack for attracting crazy/wild women.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:03 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Acheleus View Post
She also said being physical made her want to drink because sex and being drunk went together for her. Also drugs, which were not part of my story.

Perhaps yet another reason to cool your jets a bit and concentrate on sobriety.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:58 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Jets are officially cooled. Thank you Scott for all your help in the past.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:10 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
She's right you know. We really do change a lot in that first year if we work the steps. I'm not the same person I was 9+ months ago. I'm also finding I'm not attracted to the same type of women I was when I was drinking. You know, the ones that needed "saving." I found myself in relationship after relationship with crazy, needy, wild women.

Look. I'm not perfect either. For the past 9 months, this woman has been throwing herself at me. I know she is bad news because she has a boyfriend (we used to hook up when I was drinking). So in a down and out moment of feeling lonely and sorry for myself, I agreed to a date. I shared about it in a meeting and my sponsor promptly talked me out of it so I canceled the date.

The good news? A year will be up before you know it, and if you work the steps, you'll be a better person for spending that year working on yourself.

Congrats on 60 days. Hope you got your chip
Old 01-10-2014, 12:18 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

See I was not really physically attracted to this person before I talked to her. I like intelligence. This sucks, we got along so well.
That's how it was with my last serious GF. We worked together for a little while before I ever saw her outside of work. Somehow we wound up at the same bar one night and started chatting. Turns out she had a master's degree in philosophy (one of my most serious passions). Funny, I didn't really think of her as super attractive until I found how wicked smart and funny she was...then I was hooked! We were serious for quite awhile but it didn't last, mostly because she wanted kids and I really don't. She's a pretty serious drinker, too...

Sadly that's also me! My ex-wife is certifiably nuts. Certainly my drinking was already an issue even back then but were I a tee-totaller it never could have worked.