Notices

probably in the wrong place but....

Old 01-08-2014, 09:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question probably in the wrong place but....

Hello everyone,

I am looking for answers on being dope sick while still taking my medication. I apologize if I am in the wrong place and don't wish harm to anyone (as I was told could happen on another website forum) because I still take my meds.

I have severe back problems so I am currently prescribed Morphine Sulfate IR, 30 mgs 4 x daily, Morphine Sulfate CR, 30 mgs once daily. I also take Soma, twice a day sometimes, but am prescribed 3 x daily. I have been taking these meds for several years but NEVER abuse them. Rarely take the full daily allotment as I hate taking meds PERIOD!

Sunday I started experiencing awful withdrawal symptoms. I've been through them before when I became physically dependent on dilaudid while hospitalized with Trigeminal Neuralgia. They cold turkeyed me at the hospital and I was sicker than 10 dogs. Couldn't get out of bed, very nauseated, very sleepy, sweaty, tremors, etc.

This lasted all Sunday, Sunday night, Monday and Monday night. I stopped the Morphine IR because my husband told me I had dope sickness. That my meds had turned on me. My pain doc said it's not possible but I started feeling better (except my pain went through the roof). So I am stuck. I HAD to give in today and take the morphine IR because I was in so much pain I was hysterical and borderline suicidal. I actually called my husband from my cell in the bedroom and begged him to come kill me. The pain was indescribable.

I don't know if anyone else has experienced anything like this or know of somewhere on the net that I could find it.

Thank you all very much for reading this and again, I apologize if this is not the place to try to find an answer. God bless.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi NanaB54 - you're more than welcome here

I'm not familiar with any of those drugs, but others may be.

We can't give you medical advice here, but we can share our experiences if we have any

If your Dr cannot give you answers I'd recommend you seek a second opinion tho

D
Old 01-08-2014, 09:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I have zero experience with morphone and such and I am so sorry that you are in pain and dope sick too
I am sure that there are people here who have experienced it though and might be able to help. Just one thing, we are not allowed to give medical advice on SR (which makes sense since we are not doctors).
I just wanted to you to SR. You have found a safe supportive place to be at.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Nana,

But sorry not experience with the Morphine - I can see the dilemma but have no experience to share.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sounds like your medication needs to be reviewed by your doc, morphine can be a tricky beast even if you gave taken it legitimately and for a long time, if indeed it is the morphine that is making you unwell. Definitely time for a medical review.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Unless your husband is a trained medical professional, I'd take your pain doc's advice and opinion over your husband's. Go back to your pain doc, tell them everything that happened and then they'll be able to advise you on the next steps to take. Get a second professional opinion if you're still not sure about what your doc has to say.

Last edited by Louise82; 01-08-2014 at 11:27 PM. Reason: ETA
Old 01-09-2014, 12:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'd tell your doctor what you've told us here. And get a second opinion if necessary.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Nana

I would agree with everyone before me, another opinion sounds like a very agreeable option.

No need for the pain you are in!!!!

Matt
Old 01-10-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all! I wasn't looking for medical advice really. I'm up to my ears in it.

My husband was speaking from experience because he had something similar happen to him when he was taking Norco. So, I was trying to find SOMETHING on the internet that I could show my doctor to prove there is such a thing.

I can't remember how many years I've been on Morphine... close to 5 I think. I went from cutting the 15s in half and am now up to the dosage I listed above. It was a gradual increase with my going up to the dosage I'm at now about 6 months ago maybe.

My pain doctor doesn't think it can be the morphine, telling me that morphine causes nausea *DUH* already knew that, that's why I have a scrip for promethazine (Phenergan). She completely dismissed all my other symptoms, the sweating, the weakness, the need to sleep nearly round the clock, etc., and told me to go to a GI doc or my PCP. I've been through withdrawals before and this wasn't as bad (bad enough tho) so I knew what I was talking about. My husband's biggest concern for me was organ failure and mine was having another heart attack.

I was just wanting to know if anyone had ever had a similar experience while taking any medication, not specifically morphine, but any narcotic.

Thanks again. And again, I apologize if I'm in the wrong place as I'm neither "sober" nor in recovery. Would LOVE to be, I hate PILLS! I do feel better even tho I had to go back to taking the IR morphine because the pain got so bad.

NanaB54
Old 01-10-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is a board for those struggling as much as those in recovery Nana.
I hope we helped a little.

I really hope you get it sorted out

D