Notices

10 days sober - bloated, exhausted - normal?

Old 01-08-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

10 days sober - bloated, exhausted - normal?

Today is my 10th day sober. I'm doing better than I expected. Of course pretty much every day that little thought pops up that I should get a bottle, but the desire isn't that strong and is easy to resist. My question is I feel so bloated and I'm eating decent and not any different than usual. Instead of my nightly alcohol, I'm drinking decaffeinated tea sweetened with splenda. Is it normal to feel so bloated and totally exhausted (still not sleeping that great)?
Old 01-08-2014, 05:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would say it is normal to be tired in the first weeks. Your body is trying to heal the damage. Your sleep should improve also.

I'm a month sober and sleep like a baby. But I am tired still.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Ten days is very early in recovery. Give yourself more time to heal and get back to normal functioning. If after a period of time you don't feel better then get a check up from your doctor.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I already have labs scheduled. Back in April my iron was extremely low. I can tell it's better because of how I feel. The tiredness doesn't feel like an iron problem - although I could definitely be wrong. The labs will tell all. LOL I'm very ready to feel "normal" whatever that is. haha
Old 01-08-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Congratulations. I hope all goes well with your doctor. It will get better x
Old 01-08-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Meow

Too much artificial sweetner can mess with your system, especially if you are not used to it.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I always use artificial sweetner. Even when I drank I mixed the vodka with diet tonic water. My system is used to it. I'll try to cut it down some though just to be on the safe side.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes Sinderos, you are not alone in how you feel. I drank vodka with diet tea (sweetened with Splenda). On day 9, I also feel tired and bloated, but since I am recovering from relapse, I know that this goes away with time. But if you don't start to feel physically better, definitely get checked out. Never mess with your health. And you are doing well ignoring your AV, keep it up! Separate that voice from who you are and know it's just a petulant child that's whining to get its way and you have the power to tell it to leave you alone.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just a suggestion, but I would try switching your Splenda with Stevia.

Stevia is a natural sweetener without chemical make up.

I had really good results when I switched...
Old 01-08-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great job on 10 days. I'm learning to go sugarless. Trying to eat more nutritionally dense foods. Getting my nutrition back and feeling better. haven't had a leg cramp at night for 2 days.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations on taking that 1st big step! Just hang in there and realize that everything comes in cycles. Good or bad it's life and for me I just wasn't used to feeling anything so I've been a little shell shocked lately. Baby steps each day has gotten me back to enjoying the simple pleasures life gives us.

I'm almost a month in and starting to get some energy back. I've promised myself to start going to the gym and I hope that helps. Also, I try and drink plenty of water.

Congratulations again and remember you're doing the right thing!
Old 01-08-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Good for you on 2 wks sober!
That's good start but your body is simply adjusting to goin w/o the booze. Your doing the right thg by drinking tea & I would add eating some candy/chocolate.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I remember being so bloated when on alcohol and through WD. Took about 10-15 days and really started coming down and off. Looked thinner, flatter stomach, and belt felt better. I don't know if its gas/fluids but it's there.

Then what, relapsed and the bloat went right back so quickly after a relapse binge. Crazy how fast, overnight. It seems it's just the body retaining fluids cuz it knows we need them while drinking and chronic dehydration.

I am on day three. Keep up the good work
Old 01-08-2014, 08:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm at 10 days and still really exhausted. The bloat has come down quite a bit though. I think it just varies - our systems are so whacked. We just need to keep hanging in there and it will stabilize (telling myself, too).