Notices

Being drunk - Could people tell ?

Old 01-08-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

Being drunk - Could people tell ?

Its the one question, I am afraid to ask my Wife, because I have been so deceitful over the years and she has been supporting me now, that its a proverbial slap in the face to ask her this.

When you were drunk, do you think other people could tell ?
What did you do to hide the fact that you were drunk if anything ?

Just curious.

I used to wash my mouth out with Cola and hold it for 30 seconds every few minutes. It was my belief that this kills any odours from my mouth. I would then repeat with brushing teeth and mouthwash.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

An extensive brushing teeth/mouth/tongue regime in the morning was my routine before leaving to go to work, then on the drive to work, a couple pieces of chewing gum, then I would change my gum for fresh pieces for the walk from the carpark to work.

I have no idea though whether it did the job or not, but no one in 4yrs ever said anything, about smelling alcohol, or appearing slightly still tipsy I would say in the mornings after heavier nights.

On a night out though, I 'd say it came across quite obvious as the hours went on, when your turned away for being too drunk by bouncers, it must be pretty obvious!!
Old 01-08-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have sat near people on public transport who had obviously been drinking... that acrid smell is hard to cover up. I know it so well now, but I must have smelt like that all the time. I always thought the smell of my cigarettes would cover it up. Haha, I sound very classy don't I! I used to chew gum all the time. It doesn't matter what you do, it'll still be there. I think though that everyone is so worried about themselves that they don't notice the people around them. I was obsessed with wondering who else may be drunk, or sober... I think I can tell now and 90% of people walk around sober... who knew. You can only relate to the world from your own perspective and when I was drinking part of me really couldn't believe that other people were actually sober. So I reckon most normies wouldn't be able to believe that other people might be drunk...
Old 01-08-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

Originally Posted by purpleknight View Post
An extensive brushing teeth/mouth/tongue regime in the morning was my routine before leaving to go to work, then on the drive to work, a couple pieces of chewing gum, then I would change my gum for fresh pieces for the walk from the carpark to work.

I have no idea though whether it did the job or not, but no one in 4yrs ever said anything, about smelling alcohol, or appearing slightly still tipsy I would say in the mornings after heavier nights.

On a night out though, I 'd say it came across quite obvious as the hours went on, when your turned away for being too drunk by bouncers, it must be pretty obvious!!
I can relate to this too. Do you think people are too polite say anything, or genuinely cannot tell ? (I ask out of morbid curiosity)
Old 01-08-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

The only person who ever said anything to me, I was sat on a train/tram with my 3 year old and he said, that the person in front smelt like me. The person in front was wasted on booze.

My Wife has never said anything. I am just starting to think, its a difficult question to say to someone, do you think your drinking too much ?

I wonder if people are too polite or love you too much to bring the subject up. Obviously 3 years olds dont count.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm sure I smelled. I even smelled myself sometimes for heaven sakes, and I'm not kidding! LOL!
Old 01-08-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i think some know - some dont- certainly anyone who saw me physically drinking a few times or my daily routine knew pretty quick...
Old 01-08-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by autan View Post
I can relate to this too. Do you think people are too polite say anything, or genuinely cannot tell ? (I ask out of morbid curiosity)
I would have thought a manager would have said something at least, I got a false sense of security from them never doing so!

There's been many threads about "functioning" on the Forum and never being pulled up for it at work, meant I just continued drinking the same amount every evening as I was getting away with it!!
Old 01-08-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can usually spot a drinker by their red face and glassy eyes. Those things stick long after the alcohol has made its way out.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was usually the last one to know I was drunk. I thought I was just fine!
Old 01-08-2014, 05:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bi11fish View Post
I was usually the last one to know I was drunk. I thought I was just fine!
i was usually the last to know what i did the night/day before.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm sure not everyone I met along the way was an idiot.

But alas, that part of my life is over. I'm now a non-drinker. Thank fricking all that is good in the universe.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm not sure if I smelt like alcohol in the mornings after this last relapse, but it sure concerned me, made me nervous, and added so much to my already existent anxiety. I was unable to be my normal confident self. Concerned people could tell I was obviously impaired by something. My excuse would be, its a cold. I'd chew on cough drops,,, Damn,,, what a way to live huh. Lately I've returned to my confident, humorous, and kind person that I like. People are happy to see me in the morning,, and I'm happy to be there.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

When you have your set of drums between you and a crowd of people, I call it perfect isolation.
I just made sure I didn't fall off my throne.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The only person who ever called me on it was my boss. She called me out each and every time about smelling like a drunk. Never pulled any punches. So I would guess others smelled it too but just didn't want to say anything.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

One of my last drunks I got home before my wife and slammed down a bunch of wine. Then I mouthwashed and tooth pasted until I believed I was good and fresh.

She walked in the house and from 30 feet away said, "You've been drinking."
Old 01-08-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I was always armed with mints - used mouthwash, perfume, eyedrops - but it was the change in my personality that gave me away. Apparently I became argumentative & obnoxious. Who knew? I'm so thankful it's over.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Yes I'm pretty sure everyone knew. And would have known regardless. When I was drunk.

I never tried to hide it though. Also I never drank before work or other times that I was not supposed to. It was at home or on weekends.

Anyway, I can smell someone who has alcohol on their breath from pretty far away. Its tough to cover up liquor...
Old 01-08-2014, 06:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
30yrdrunk

I have always been a binge drinker. It is obvious to everyone when I've had too much to drink. Including the police on a few occasions!
Old 01-08-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
One of my last drunks I got home before my wife and slammed down a bunch of wine. Then I mouthwashed and tooth pasted until I believed I was good and fresh.

She walked in the house and from 30 feet away said, "You've been drinking."
BUSTTTEEEDDDDD lol