Notices

When is withdrawal dangerous??

Old 01-08-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lifewillgetbet View Post
From experience your in seizure territory for 72 hours. I didn't have hallucinations but was shaking bad. Then I had a seizure. They are not pretty at all. I was 27 at the time. 31 now.
I got smart with my alcohol withdrawals and started to go to the Doctor and get medication for it. Its easy, and your family Doctor has to give it to you. I tell my Doctor everything anyways. He is probably disgusted with my drug/ alcohol induced filthy actions by now but its his job. But he seems very interested, so I am sure it is entertaining for him.
Mine didn't seemed to entertained... He told me if didn't change soon I was just putting nails in the coffin... Quit now while you still have good liver function...
Old 01-08-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Don't take this the wrong way, but you just seem to be looking for reasons not to quit. I am sure you could find millions of reason on the internet on why you should listen to the AV in your head...

Listen to the sane part and do it. If you find there is an issue seek medical intervention. I think people actually needing medical help is the minority and not the majority...
Old 01-08-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, I feel better now. I freaked for a little bit, but I am still in the early stage of alcoholism so I am probably safe from severe problems. I am seeing my doc on the 17th, the earliest I could get in.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:20 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ronjohn View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but you just seem to be looking for reasons not to quit. I am sure you could find millions of reason on the internet on why you should listen to the AV in your head...

Listen to the sane part and do it. If you find there is an issue seek medical intervention. I think people actually needing medical help is the minority and not the majority...
Ronjohn, Im going on 20 hours without alcohol and I am overtired, Im gonna take everything the wrong way
Old 01-08-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Go for it... The body is very resilient... A few tremors might be better than beating on your liver again...

Only you know your body...
Old 01-08-2014, 01:25 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArcticSA View Post
Ronjohn, Im going on 20 hours without alcohol and I am overtired, Im gonna take everything the wrong way
Trust me when I say I am cheering for you... I know everybody that reads this is wanting for you to succeed...
Old 01-08-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=ronjohn;4395963]Mine didn't seemed to entertained... He told me if didn't change soon I was just putting nails in the coffin... Quit now while you still have good liver function...[/QUOTE

Entertained in a concerning way.
My Doctor is also an expert at medically revoking Driving Privileges. I have had my license revoked by him more times then I have had a speeding ticket.
Sad really.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Thanks everyone, I feel better now. I freaked for a little bit, but I am still in the early stage of alcoholism so I am probably safe from severe problems. I am seeing my doc on the 17th, the earliest I could get in.
Stay away from Doctor Google. You can find lots of things that you don't need to see. Get lots of rest, drink lots of fluids and fruits. And if you do feel the need, you can always call urgent care. Chances are you won't need it but make sure someone around you knows what you are doing just to be safe. Your health is a lot more important than your pride, right?
Old 01-08-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Lifewillgetbet;4396005]
Mine didn't seemed to entertained... He told me if didn't change soon I was just putting nails in the coffin... Quit now while you still have good liver function...[/QUOTE

Entertained in a concerning way.
My Doctor is also an expert at medically revoking Driving Privileges. I have had my license revoked by him more times then I have had a speeding ticket.
Sad really.
Never heard of that one... He took your license for being an alcoholic?
Old 01-08-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=ronjohn;4396015]

Never heard of that one... He took your license for being an alcoholic?
Yes. 3 Times. I have no DUI's , no tickets (in the past 7 years), no accidents, nothing. License Revoked 1 year each time.
He took it away because with the amount I was drinking, even after 8 hours of sleep my blood alcohol was probably higher then the legal limit.
To this day I dont have it back. I have another month or so left.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:42 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Are you not now sober?
Old 01-08-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

From experience your in seizure territory for 72 hours. I didn't have hallucinations but was shaking bad. Then I had a seizure. They are not pretty at all. I was 27 at the time. 31 now.
I got smart with my alcohol withdrawals and started to go to the Doctor and get medication for it. Its easy, and your family Doctor has to give it to you. I tell my Doctor everything anyways. He is probably disgusted with my drug/ alcohol induced filthy actions by now but its his job. But he seems very interested, so I am sure it is entertaining for him.
Why keep putting yourself through that?

Genuinely curious.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Lifewillgetbet;4396030]

Yes. 3 Times. I have no DUI's , no tickets (in the past 7 years), no accidents, nothing. License Revoked 1 year each time.
He took it away because with the amount I was drinking, even after 8 hours of sleep my blood alcohol was probably higher then the legal limit.
To this day I dont have it back. I have another month or so left.
Interesting... Wonder if they do that in the US?
Old 01-08-2014, 06:11 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
EndGame

No way to know!? So all the people on SR right now that are in their first few days of quit have the potential to start seizing and hallucinating?
There is no Pythagorean Theorem for withdrawals. Everyone who attempts detoxing on their own places themselves at risk. They're rolling the dice. Even medically supervised detoxes don't always go well. A physician is only making an educated guess, but at least those who are experienced know what to look for and what to do if things go sideways.

I've yet to see a good reason to detox without medical supervision.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:14 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not everyone will have a bad detox - but the point is those of us who do often have little or no warning.

D
Old 01-09-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Imabuleva View Post
Why keep putting yourself through that?

Genuinely curious.
Simple. I am an addict/alcoholic.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kris47 View Post
Are you not now sober?
If you are referring to me, yes I am. 12 days away from 6 months sober.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:46 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=ronjohn;4396050]

Interesting... Wonder if they do that in the US?
I am American as well. My Dr in Florida did not revoke my license. I'm just not allowed to drive in Canada.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:46 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

I am just thankful, I never have to go through detox again.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

If you say you only drink 4 days a week, then that suggests you're sober 3 days a week... Take one of those sober days and see a doctor.

Don't tempt fate. I've posted on here several times saying that I could detox without medication. Then maybe two detoxes later, I found myself in the ER thinking I was having a heart attack and having MASSIVE neurological symptoms like anxiety, feeling of impending doom, tightness in the chest, sweating, shakes.

It's just not safe to do it without a doctor's blessing/meds. Everyone wants a scale with amount of alcohol drank and withdrawal symptoms. There's nothing wrong with asking as I did this too in my very early stages of recovery.

But after that trip to the ER, don't assume you're going to be fine. Always air on the side of caution by seeing a doctor.

I'm not trying to scare you, I'm trying to get you to realize that like what everyone here said, it varies person to person, amount of alcohol drank, the time you've been drinking... etc. There's no way to be sure.