Notices

First conflict in recovery

Old 01-08-2014, 11:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First conflict in recovery

So, I am 108 days sober and I have been blessed to not come into contact with any major conflicts, until today at work. I was unable to do my job because someone superior to me was attempting to interfere. I am very patient with others and respect authority. I am also very passionate about my job and aware of my job responsibilities, so when others keep me from completing a task it can be frustrating. I took a walk out for some fresh air as soon as I was able to, but found myself beginning to boil on the inside and become sarcastic about my job responsibilities. I wrote about the event in my journal that I keep with me at all times as well as read a few devotions. I am still agitated. I have things to do after work but would rather go home and isolate to to prevent myself from becoming more agitated. Any suggestions ?
Old 01-08-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've also had a crappy day at work and got upset with a manager but kept my cool for the most part. Although I reacted inside the same way you did an was still mad about it when I got home. I think this is part of my drinking thinking. Back in my drinking days I would have gotten plastered to be able to take it. Today I had to deal with it sober and I am still not very good at letting things not get to me. I'm working on it and your post helped me tremendously to realize that I just need to let go and not solve it with a drink.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think it's good you went for a walk.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Remember just for today, you kept it together.. Great job
Old 01-08-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Congrats on 108 days that is awesome!

Learning to detach from others behaviour comes in time. I know for me that the stuff that use to bother me doesn't affect me as much as it use to. I use to let things at my work place bother me all the time and not only that but I would let what happened to others bother me as well. I would stew about it all night while getting plastered!

However, I have come to realize that I did that so I would have another excuse to drink. For me, life is just too short to worry about this sort of crap. Because at the end that is what it is. Someone elses crap that I don't want to take on. Because people that dish out crap have their own crap they are hiding or worrying about. Boy, that is a lot of crap, see what I mean? Hope this makes sense!
Old 01-08-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Someone here once posted about what a crap day they were having. And someone replied with the suggestion of listing a bunch of things you are grateful for.
I thought that was genius.
I have used it since to put things into perspective for me.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
getting there

It must be bad-day-at-work day. I had a similar experience in a meeting this afternoon (was seriously talked down to and criticized out of nowhere right in front of my boss), and actually left two hours early to avoid saying something I would regret. I came home and got into bed and am still upset and crying over it. It might not be the right answer but at least I'm not drinking! I think in these cases we have to do whatever feels right in order to get through - remember we haven't had to handle things sober in a long time.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

“What we see depends mainly on what we look for.”

Look to a calm evening with the person you like.

You.