Notices

Really struggling...so low and anxious

Old 01-08-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Really struggling...so low and anxious

Hello again

I registered and introduced myself on this wonderful site a few days ago.

I had been sober for 3 days. Now its 6 days but I really am finding things so tough

I just feels so depressed & anxious I can't express how uncomfortable I feel. I am suffering with cravings terribly all the time too.

I am seeing my support worker Friday who is arranging for me to commence on Acoomprosate (Campral) tablets and also to introduce me to a local group for others who struggle with alcohol.

I'm sorry to seem like I'm moaning but am just venting I guess and reaching out for support from others in the same boat.

XXX
Old 01-08-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

6 days is AWESOME! And also really really tough. You are just now beating the awful physical withdrawl (yay!!)
please hang in there. Thank you for seeing your support worker. Any way you could see her/him today instead?
xo
Old 01-08-2014, 08:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and thanks for replying x

Yes the physical withdrawels are so tough and I just feel really jittery and on edge.

Unfortunately I can't see my support worker today as I have come to my ex-boyfriends to help him with some work I had promised to but being here is also a big deal as he is a drinker too and last night even still is drinking in front of me despite knowing I'm struggling

I can't wait to leave in the morning to be honest and go back to my mums where I did my detox.

I feel I just want to curl up in a ball and sleep I really do.

XXX
Old 01-08-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Pinktinkfairy View Post
Unfortunately I can't see my support worker today as I have come to my ex-boyfriends to help him with some work I had promised...
Here's a bit of advice. Make your sobriety the MOST important thing. Helping an ex- won't help your recovery. Seeing your support working and being introduced to others who can help your recovery was the thing to do.

It's your recovery. Help yourself as much as possible.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes thanks I do understand that but I still am unable to see my support worker until Friday anyway due to her other commitments to others.

I was able to have telephone contact which did help as better than nothing which was when she decided to arrange for me to start this medication on Friday and also then I will meet others who are attempting to or have stopped drinking.

XXX
Old 01-08-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good luck, pink. Like someone else said, the only way to succeed in sobriety is to make it the most important thing, because as alcohol addicts, alcohol has become the most important thing.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes that makes perfect sense thanksx

Damn though these cravings are really tough going it feels like they are increasing each day

Please tell me it DOES get easier...everything just feels a struggle right now.

XXX
Old 01-08-2014, 10:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, it does get better the longer you're sober. Six days is very early and early recovery is a very emotional roller coaster ride.

Stick with it. It does get better and it's worth the effort.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Pinktinkfairy, congrats on 6 days. The early days can be tough but it will get easier.The cravings will pass and will happen less frequently with more sober time. I found that keeping myself busy helped a lot with cravings. I also used to take a walk whenever i felt anxious and it really helped to relax me. Keep going. Sobriety is worth it.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Yes, it will definitely get better. Congrats x
Old 01-08-2014, 10:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Six days is great. The first week is hard, but you are doing it. I am so proud of you. I found drinking herbal tea really helped me. That and walks. You are doing great.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SeaScape

Please be strong for yourself! It's a hard battle!

For me I know I can't do this unless I make my sobriety the most important thing in my life - that is why I have drank before when I had lofty goals of giving it up. I get lazy, complacent and begin rationalizing. I also experience severe anxiety and depression when I drink and shortly after abstaining from it. I am MORE tired of feeling that way than I am happy feeling buzzed.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thankyou all truly for your support x

I just had a soak in the bath to try lessen the anxiety so feel a bit better at the minute...just need to stay strong I know but it means so much to know I am not alone with this.

XXX
Old 01-08-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Pinktinkfairy

why not join our Class of January support thread?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-2-a-17.html

D
Old 01-08-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Pink,,,, your never alone here,,, we've all been there. Hang in their and congrats on 6 days. It gets easier,,, but it sux getting there.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good job Pink! The anxiety is normal and will go away a little more every day. Your body is readjusting and healing… And when you get cravings, focus on the positive - no more fogginess, no more shakes, no more lost memories, no more rearranging your schedule so you can drink, the list can be whatever you hated most about drinking all the time. And then you can also remind yourself of all of the good things about being sober. The initial days are a struggle, but if you take it one day at a time, those days add up and you will feel amazing.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're getting through this.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey, Pink, good job on 6 days. I want to second the tea suggestion. For me, the sensation of warm tea going down and the feeling of warmth within really helped(s) me. Now, 7 weeks later, I have 2-3 cups a night and I relly look forward to them, almost like I used to look forward (or so I thought) to my drinks.
It does get better, be ready for some battles, but you can win them and the reward-sobriety-is wonderful and life-changing.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Welcome Pink Tink Fairy- Glad you are here with us 6 days is wonderful - be good to yourself & just take it a day at a time.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:48 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It's really normal to feel TERRIBLE in early sobriety. Terrible in every possible way. Get lots of support, post here as much as you want about anything you want. You really can't talk enough while you're going through this. There's always someone around on SR to listen and empathise.