Notices

Wondering about rehab and doctor help

Old 01-08-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wondering about rehab and doctor help

I'm 62 and have been drinking for 35 years with a few months of sobriety in between. I'm really ready emotionally and physically to quit but scared of my last detox at home and the withdrawals. I have some heart issues and worried about my outcome this time around. I'm not in a position to go to an inpatient setting as I take care of my husband. Can a doctor help me outside at home. What can they do for me.

I used to drink 10 liquor drinks a day and tapered down to 4-5 at a time. I just tapered down to 2 beers last night. By the time I had the first, I was a little shaky but did okay with it. I slept only one hour last night. I am kinda thinking to continue with two beers for another 3-4 days or so and then taper to one. I really think I can do this. I have too. After one beer fro a few days I want to quit. It concides with my doc appt. Will my withdrwals be as bad as before when I just went cold turkey?

Really appreciate any ones experience or insight given to me.

Kris47
Old 01-08-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Kris 47. I can't offer any advice as far as how bad your withdrawals will be when you stop drinking. From what I am told though, it can be dangerous to go through withdrawals without help from a Dr., detox center, etc. Since you are taking care of your husband and can't attend a residential treatment program, do you have an outpatient program in your area that you can attend during the day? I did 3 weeks in an outpatient setting and it really helped!
Old 01-08-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

The only way you'll get a concrete answer is to see a doctor Kris. We can't give medical advice here or predict how severe your withdrawals might be. There are many treatment programs available through hospitals and drug/alcohol treatment centers ( both public and private ) that are not inpatient. It's entirely possible that they might have an outpatient program of some kind for you, but you won't know unless you call them and make an appointment to find out.

It's great that you have the desire to quit and cutting back is never a bad thing either, nice work. At this point I think you also realize that you are going to need help with this, you just need to make that call and get the wheels rolling.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SeaScape

I would talk to your doctor and see what help he/she can offer you. I don't have experience with tapering or severe withdrawals but what you describe you are doing sounds like so much hard emotional and physical work. Atleast find out about how this incredibly challenging life change (battle!) can be made easier and SAFER with the help of a doctor.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ditto. Talk to your doctor. I've heard of people who have gotten medication from their doc to safely get through any withdrawals.

Are there really no other options to make sure your husband is taken care of while you get the help you need? I only ask because I always felt like I couldn't leave work, I couldn't leave my dog, that treatment just wasn't an option because I was too busy. Most situations can be covered with a little creativity and asking for help. It didn't come naturally to me and was kind of embarrassing actually to leave work and my other responsibilities behind while I got better but in the end it was absolutely the right thing to do.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

We are new to the area and this is a new doctor I'll be seeing on the 14th. I am hoping to come to a good solution then. My daughter just moved to Idaho and my husband has heart failure.

I'll come up with something. Just hoping this doctor appt will solve some things. Counting the days down.

At least you all are getting me ready for what comes next.