Notices

Hi

Old 01-08-2014, 05:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi

I poured out all the booze from my cupboard today. I am sick of drinking and sick of what it is doing to my mind, body and soul.
This will not be easy. I have been drinking since I was 15 years old and I am much older now. I am an alcoholic for sure. I have been drinking at least 12 or more ounces of hard liquor every evening, every day of my life. On weekends I drink even more than that.
I am worried about my health.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you're worried about your health it would be wise to see a doctor.
That's quite abit to drink for so long.

I've poured a lot of booze down the drain, and I was a very heavy drinker. It never stopped me from buying more, though.
Have you thought of attending AA or another such program? It's hard to quit alone when You drink like you and I do.
I've got three years sober, so it can be done.

Welcome to this site, you'll find a lot of support here. Best to you.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome gimliman, if you are concerned about your health it might be a good idea to see a doctor. Detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous. SR is a great place for support. It's helped a lot with my recovery. Glad you have joined us.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good luck and thanks for posting. You'll find many resources on this website. I find this helped me immensely during the early stages, in combination with reading books on the subject. Good luck in your journey!
Old 01-08-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your decision to get sober! Just take it one day at a time. I recommend finding a local A.A. meeting and checking it out.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for your encouragement. I have tried AA in the past and did not have a great experience. I do have the support & understanding of my family which will greatly help. This website/forum seems like a great support as well.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome gimliman! You will find so much support here!! We are all here for one reason and that is to get beat this addiction! You can do it!! So glad you are here!!
Old 01-08-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, Gimliman!

Keep reading and posting--this site can help get you through those first few days!
Old 01-08-2014, 12:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Gimliman - I am probably one of the few on this site that knows where Gimli is.
Thats another conversation.
I am 58 days clean and sober today. I could not have done it with the support and love of my family. AND the fine folks on SR. I post, I read, I cry the blues, I chat. It all helps.
Everyone of us has a different battle to fight, but we are all in the same war. If you have a plan to stay sober and let us keep you accountable to that plan, you can beat the SOB.
I, like you have been a binge drinker since I was 15, turning the clock on 60 in March.
Enough is enough. I hear you and I feel for you.
Post before you pick up. Always someone on this site 24/7 that has been through what you are going through and will in the future. Stick around my friend, You will be glad you did.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi.

I completely understand. I am an alcoholic and actively drinking as an alcoholic is hell. Good thing we have the cure to our disease right in our pocket.

Welcome to SR. This place is incredible.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow. I am amazed and very touched by all of your kind words. RickH54: Indeed I look forward to a future conversation about Gimli! Right now I guess I have a bit of a fight on my hands.
My usual trigger to begin drinking- suppertime- approaches. I am nervous but resolute. I will not drink tonight. I will get back to this forum later. Again, thanks!