Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

How to Change Your Drinking: A Harm Reduction Guide to Alcohol

Notices

Old 01-07-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm not trying to stir up trouble here. I've just been doing a ton of research. I've been browsing books, multiple forums and seeking out first hand blogs.

This is a title of one of the books I discovered. I read the reviews and it seems to take a different course than AA. I can't put in much wisdom because I've never been to AA before.

I'm just wondering what kind of thoughts you guys have on this.

How to Change Your Drinking: A Harm Reduction Guide to Alcohol by Kenneth Anderson

(Just to be clear. This has nothing at all to do with me. I'm just extremely interested in all sides of research and this is something I've never heard of or seen before.)
Old 01-07-2014, 08:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

my thoughts are that I've had many thoughts about a "program" that was different than AA inasmuch as it would allow / support 'controlled drinking'.

Bottom line is that everything I've tried - hasn't worked. Just like the Big Book says.

I'm done playing with fire.

I'm out, before I get SERIOUSLY burned.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

It looks like a lot of it is devoted to moderation and they reviews suggest that people cut down etc. I believe there is a section on abstinence, but there was no way I could ever moderate. x
Old 01-07-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

My thoughts...if you could control your drinking, you would be able to and wouldn't be a member of a recovery forum.

But the reality is, you can't control your drinking. However, like most of us at some point in our recovery, aren't ready to give up on the drinking. The fatal obsession of so many alcoholics, to drink normally.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
my thoughts are that I've had many thoughts about a "program" that was different than AA inasmuch as it would allow / support 'controlled drinking'.

Bottom line is that everything I've tried - hasn't worked. Just like the Big Book says.

I'm done playing with fire.

I'm out, before I get SERIOUSLY burned.
There are other successful programs based on abstinence. x
Old 01-07-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Alcoholics cannot control their drinking. If we could, we wouldn't be alcoholics. I think that is probably true of most people here on this website. We have all tried everything we could to prove we could drink moderately but finally had to admit that we just cannot.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KateL View Post
There are other successful programs based on abstinence. x
Kate... yep, good point.

All I was saying is that while I have thought of and considered and even tried numerous approaches to 'moderation' - AA's abstinence and support is what has worked for me.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

In addition to what others have said, it's not only a question of whether problem drinkers/alcoholics CAN moderate their drinking, but also a question of whether it's worth the risk to even try, particularly given the long odds of success.

Is it worth getting a DUI in an attempt to moderate? Losing a relationship or a job? Hurting or killing someone else? Winding up in jail?

Speaking for myself, I can't afford to lose much more than I already have. And even trying to moderate would suck for me. I drink (drank!) to get drunk.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'd turn those two thumbs down
Old 01-07-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

There's a voice in my head telling me I can moderate my drinking. Strangely, none of the moderate drinkers I know have such a voice in their heads.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
There's a voice in my head telling me I can moderate my drinking. Strangely, none of the moderate drinkers I know have such a voice in their heads.
Very strong point. I like that a lot.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The perpetual search for the elusive Golden Ticket.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've tried and tried again to "moderate" and it always ends up the same after a while.....out of control drinking. I have accepted that I just can't drink anymore...period.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes, Nonesenical, very true. Here's a little anecdote to further illustrate. I just posted last night an insight about my dad, whom I consider to be a moderate drinker (how he dodged the family bullet of addiciton, I'll never know). He does not have the voice questioning, wondering if he can moderate because he just can. He can leave a 12 pack in the garage and forget about it. He can pour a glass of wine and start talking about aviation and forget he poured a drink. He can take sip of wine and say, "I don't like care for this, no thanks." And he can sit on the porch and have one single can of beer and not have any beer for a week--without saying things like, "I'm going to stop drinking for a few days. . ." like we do. The concern, the interest in moderation is not there because he does it naturally. Damn it, I wish I could do this, but it is not possible, this is not my relationship with alcohol.

Nikka, I was just like you, researching, reading, looking, searching, trying to figure out how I could, if I could do this drinking thing like people like my dad. I am so much happier now that I just accepted myself for who I am-someone who needs to totally abstain from alcohol.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Tried many times to moderate, gets out of hand within a few days.

Not worth the trouble, in my opinion.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I would imagine there probably are a select few alcoholics that somehow manage to tough out moderation plans for a while. And there are those select few who can be heavy drinkers their entire lives without the "normal" repercussions. But as evidenced from just about every discussion of "moderation" that happens here or anyhwere, it doesn't work for the majority of people no matter how you package it.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm naturally a researcher. If I wasn't researching alcoholism right now I'd probably be researching.. ten different ways to peel a banana and the physical and mental effects it has on oneself. (I say banana because I have one next to me lol)
Old 01-07-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have relapsed twice listening to that voice. Reading your post today made me laugh, hard, and was the biggest smack in the back of my head I have ever experienced. You may have just unwittingly saved me from my own alcoholic rationale. Please smile for me, you just made my day.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I remember telling my sister, years ago, "I wish I could drink like you."

"I rarely drink," she said.

"That's what I mean," I replied.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
My thoughts...if you could control your drinking, you would be able to and wouldn't be a member of a recovery forum.

But the reality is, you can't control your drinking. However, like most of us at some point in our recovery, aren't ready to give up on the drinking. The fatal obsession of so many alcoholics, to drink normally.
And yet the very definition of problem drinking is drinking for effect. Alcoholism is problem drinking with an added kick... physical dependence.

How can one drink for effect and simultaneously drink normally? I want to get blasted when I drink. I don't want to have a glass of wine and call it a night.