Notices

First week - i feel lost...

Old 01-07-2014, 05:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First week - i feel lost...

Hi!

I am 32, and i have been drinking and smoking regulary since i was 16. In the last 10 years at least, i have been drinking daily. I have been drinking 4 beers a day in weekdays, and in weekends 7-8 beers and wine. I never considered I have a problem until my family started to have issues with this... Lately, I started to get dizzy after 2 beers, and I started to think I have developed liver issues. I went to the doctor and he said I was ok.

I quit smoking 6 months ago, after quiting many times for 1 month, 2 months etc. Now I do not feel any smoking cravings, although I was smoking a pack a day.

Drinking, on the other hand.... i tried last year to quit, and I lasted 2 days, or 3 days maximum... now, I'm very determined to quit, and I haven't been drinking at all for 7 days.

It has been hard... cravings are so strong, mostly because everyone i know is drinking, I have beers and wine in my house, and my wife doesn't believe i can quit.... I experienced very light withdrawl symptoms - light headaches, insomnia, i am unable to concentrate... I read a lot about this, i am exercising, walking, eating fruit, drinking tea... but still, i feel very lost... i crave for a drink but i have nobody to speak to... my friends laugh at me, my wife thinks i should be able to drink 1 beer a day (only i know if i drink one beer, i will not be able to stop)....

I need guidance, my brain lies to me that it's ok to have a beer... i'm trying to keep busy, but i cannot take out of my mind the craving for a beer...
Old 01-07-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think a lot of us have brains that lie to us. I can't have "a" beer. If I could have only one I wouldn't have even bothered. I drank to get high .... then I'd chase the buzz and end up intoxicated. There are many of us who cannot drink normally so you're in good company! You're doing some good things like exercising and eating right. The first week is tough, for me it was really tough. It took some time for that craving to go away. I used to try to evaluate why I was craving alcohol. Was I angry, was I stressed out, was I scared, etc. I started seeing patterns in my behavior. Above all though ... come to SR and let it out! People here will listen.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Keep going and don't give in. Things will improve in leaps and bounds in the long term.xxx
Old 01-07-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's important to remember that people who are not alcoholics find it hard to understand alcoholism. If your friends are laughing at your attempts to stop drinking, they are not your friends. True friends would be supportive.

You know that you need and want to stop drinking, so stay focused on your recovery. There is always someone here to talk to.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Even once you achieve several days of quitting alcohol, the cravings aren't going to go away for a long time--perhaps never. My suggestion is to work on everything else but the cravings. Create an environment where you can be sober: talk to your wife and friends about stopping; find a support group (here or something else); and get the alcohol out of the house.

Once you've achieved a "cleaner" existence, the cravings will be easier to tolerate because the triggers will be minimized. It's always possible to hit the store for a six-pack, but ideally the changes you'll make would make that option less enticing.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for your kind replies...

I would go to a support group, but there is no such thing in my country. Regarding getting rid of alcohol from the house, it's hard because i leave with 2 other persons who drink.

Anyway, I am proud because last evening it was my wife's name day, we had a party, and everyone drank except me! Day 8!!
Old 01-08-2014, 02:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR and congrats on 8 days sober!
Old 01-08-2014, 03:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

I am 7 days Sober myself and not much old than you. Alcohol causes dependancy and that was where you were. Remember that. IT WAS WHERE YOU WERE !!!

Now you are sober, the dependancy will have less and less grip physically on you, your body will already be starting to recover from years of dependancy and abuse.

The only way this dependancy can keep its hooks into you, is by convincing you to drink that first drink of beer. It is very smart, it knows, once you have that first drink, you will want another even more.

The easy option is to just continue the way you are doing, just dont drink that first drink and eventually your inner voice or AV will say "he isnt going to drink and fade away".

You will then be able to live a happy life.