Notices

I'm Back

Old 01-07-2014, 04:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm Back

I've been in AA since September but have slipped up a few times and just kept on going to AA to try and pull through this. Anyway a few more embarrassing and disturbing nights drinking has made me realize that I certainly cannot drink. I'm just too unpredictable under the influence I feel good because I've finally accepted in my mind that I can't drink anymore. How long until you start feeling better and like the cravings subsides. Can you say you are unbelievably happier now
Old 01-07-2014, 04:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

back
Old 01-07-2014, 04:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back, CP. I was unpredictable like you when I drank. I could never control my intake or what I did while under the influence. It was at a point where I was a danger to both myself and others (I'd drink and drive without a second thought, etc.).

It doesn't take long to start feeling better, for sure. Because most of us have spent years drinking heavily, we won't fully recover from the effects of alcohol right away, it does take time, but you should start seeing noticeable improvements in your moods, feelings, physical well-being, and things like that pretty quickly (this has been my experience).

Good luck and hang in there.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome back! I returned recently too after a lesson leant over a thankfully short period over Christmas that I actually really and definitely don't like booze! Really - I seem to have found a place where alcohol's attractions simply aren't that any more. Addictive drinking is slavery pure and simple!
Old 01-07-2014, 04:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Yeah so much happier. The craving do subside eventually. I am happy you have decided to stop x
Old 01-07-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes. I just have proven to myself over and over again that I'm not a normal drinker. Unpredictable is an apt description. Driving drunk, passing out at random events, saying foolish things, wasting money at strip clubs when I'm a 'family man'. It's all nonsense. Nothing Terrible has happened to me yet but I feel the risky lifestyle associated with my drinking will eventually cost me a ton. The first go around I had some secret illusion that I would drink again someday but I feel like there is such a logical answer in front of me and it would be disastrous to not take it. I was overwhelmed before thinking about facing life w/o booze but now I realize I can do it and not drinking isn't a big deal. I don't have to be a hermit to enjoy my life w/o booze.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CP1992 View Post

Can you say you are unbelievably happier now
yes -- very happy -- 6 sober years later
it was a battle ground out there for this drunk while drinking
the war is over

Mountainman
Old 01-07-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, I'm much happier now. Still have the same problems but just dealing with them instead of drowning them.

The cravings go away after a while. What really gave my sobriety a boost was being grateful for my blessings. Once I started realizing how blessed I was, my life got much better and I didn't want to drink anymore.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm not exactly sure about 'happy' all the time, but definitely more emotionally stable.

I have things now that are more important to me than 'happy', like self-respect and self-confidence. Some days it's tough to make the right decisions, but when I do, I can feel good about it. That doesn't mean I go around with a giant smile plastered on my face just cause I'm sober though. But I'm no longer filled with self-loathing, anxiety and fear.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi CP

I'm certainly in the unbelievably happier camp

It will happen...but it takes time. If you're like me you drank for years...it takes a little while to come out from under all that

D