Notices

here's an embarassing one... let's talk about SWEAT.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

here's an embarassing one... let's talk about SWEAT.

Hyperactive sweat glands....

sweaty hands...

sweating through your shirt....

Breaking out in sweats uncontrollably.

Sweating when you've not had a drink.

Sweating when you've had too much to drink.

Nervous sweats in social situations that never really seemed to be an issue before....

Just SWEATING in general to the point that you're self-conscious about it.

Does this stuff happen to others? Is it me? Is it just a case of being highly-over-caffeinated? Or, is this part of alcoholism and recovery? Is it common and most importantly...... DOES THIS GO AWAY???
Old 01-07-2014, 03:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I live in the tropics so I *really* sweated - summer, winter, it didn't matter...
it went away a few weeks after my last drink.

I still sweat, but no more than anyone else now

D
Old 01-07-2014, 03:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

OMG - YES! It is soo bad and so terribly embarrassing. I'm 10 days sober and still sweating, possibly even more then when I was drinking when I would also sweat. It's so bad people hand me kleenexes and are constantly asking me if I'm ok? How do I even begin to explain: well, I just sweat like a pig even though I'm a woman in my early 30s who shouldn't have this problem.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I used to get this for the first 5-10 days too. I noticed it was always worse if I had Coffee though or for the first few days, if I ate/drank anything even milk.

It will pass - if it goes on too long though, might be an idea to get your Doc to check you out
Old 01-07-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Well, as my name suggests, yes I can relate. When I was drinking, especially the last few months before I went in to detox I was constantly WET. Dripping WET. And the sweat smelled horrible. Two days after being in the hospital, it started slowing down and two weeks after my last drink it was gone. And it has not come back. 20 months later it is still gone.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My sweats went completely after a month. There is sweating from exercise and tropical weather which is natural and generally easy to deal with and largely inoffensive, and then there is the toxic, pungent alcohol withdrawal sweats which come on without warning and leave your skin and hair a smelly greasy mess. One of the bonuses of sobriety is no longer stinking like a brewery and looking like total sh&t.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Normal as others mentioned, body cleaning itself is a good sign.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah... I woke up soaked a lot.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

OMG yes, yet another one of the terrible effects. I live in New York and the weather gets quite humid especially in the summer. That, combined with alcohol-induced sweats can get so disgusting... I often go around in the city looking for signs of other people suffering this as well, and of course many feel uncomfortable in humid weather but nothing like an alcoholic withdrawal... Right now it's freezing cold but I can never forget this!
Old 01-07-2014, 05:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I used to have the odd night sweat, then got sober, they went and then along came the menopuase. Oh joy!!
Old 01-07-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Towards the last year of my drinking I was constantly experiencing bone-aching drenching sweats.I thought it was my weight or hormones, or some medical condition unrelated to alcohol. But big surprise, after a few weeks of sobriety the sweating tapered off and is now gone. I think of how bad it was and how my poor ole body was detoxing all the time (yuck). I'm so grateful to be "dry" and still can't believe what denile I was in.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was always sweating and hot and asking everyone in the room whether it was hot or just me. It was always just me! I didn't make the connection that it was the alcohol. Lasted through detox and then my body regulated itself back to normal and I don't notice it anymore now.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

at three days sober like a week and a half ago, I took some pre workout supplement with all sorts of crap in it. Made me sweat profusely for the entire day. People at work thought I was having a heart attack. Wound up going home around noon because it was just unbearable.