Notices

Back with a heavy heart

Old 01-14-2014, 11:33 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Great news that you get to go to the SMART meeting on Thursday Max! Mmmm, I love spaghetti carbonbarbara. I'm going to be calling it that from now on, lol.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:08 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeFall View Post
Glad to see you back MTN! Sometimes it takes several attempts for it to stick. The fact that you're back and attacking it again shows your dedication to make a change!
Hey Freefall How is life treating you? Yes back again, the slowest learner of the class

Originally Posted by Louise82 View Post
Great news that you get to go to the SMART meeting on Thursday Max! Mmmm, I love spaghetti carbonbarbara. I'm going to be calling it that from now on, lol.
Yes I'm lucky to have one close by - of course my AV doesn't think so, all sorts of reasons not to attend being fired off! I just keep telling myself if not now, when? (as one wise poster said way back up there ^^^ )

You can't beat a bit of carbonbarbara My chilli is tasting lush too, even if I do say so myself lol.

Going to take some painkillers and treat myself to a quiet hour reading now.

Shout out to Fallow, how's it going sir?

Laters
Old 01-15-2014, 09:35 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Morning all Need some encouragement about going to the meet this afternoon - major anxiety setting in already - absolute fear of the unknown and strangers!
Old 01-15-2014, 11:53 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

you can do it Max .We've every faith in you
Old 01-16-2014, 12:25 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Morning Max! Remember that the people at the meeting are going through the same things as you. They understand your issues and are there to help you. I am very shy and socially anxious yet I managed to walk into my first AA meeting once upon a time. Once you walk in, you're in and over that first hurdle, if you see what I mean. I think SMART meetings have a formal facilitator/leader so maybe when you walk in, try and figure out who that is and introduce yourself to them as a newcomer. Or just go up to the first person you see and say that you're new and nervous!
Old 01-16-2014, 12:41 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Administrator

do it Max

D
Old 01-16-2014, 01:17 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Oh gawd... I'll have to otherwise I'll completely regret it.

But but but... what if what if what if ???
Old 01-16-2014, 01:20 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Oooooh a SMART meeting. Please go if only to report back to me what it's like. There aren't any here and I've wondered what they are like.

You can do it!
Old 01-16-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Yeah!!!! Well done me

Loved it!

Will update properly later, only popped home for a quick wee before I fetch DD.

Soooooo glad I went
Old 01-16-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Hi Max its going good mostly. I have some anxiety as I'm on the way to a doctors appointment for a physical. New doctor. I have a tendency to avoid docs but I promised myself I would change that this year.

So here goes nothing!

Hope the meeting goes well for you
Old 01-16-2014, 09:02 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Well...

What a fab decision I made

Of course I got in a flap driving round town looking for somewhere to park, and then finding the place - it's right opposite my old stomping ground pub! Luckily full of my exes mates, so definitely not tempted there!

Anyway had to ring a doorbell, a guy answered, introduced himself and I followed him up (assuming he was the facilitator) sat in a lounge area with him and 3 others, all very friendly - tea, coffee, chocolates - too nervous and shaky for anything! The doorbell continued to ring and different people got up to answer it... and... I'm laughing at myself here... I thought - wow, they're allowed to answer the door by themselves...

Hahaha what was I thinking? What on earth was I expecting?! Of course grown adults can answer a door! Feel stupid now for thinking anything other lol!!

Anyway once we were all in (8 in total) we moved to another room, circle of chairs, whiteboard etc oh and the real facilitator lol.

Started off with check-in where we said how well our last week had been, on my turn I explained a bit about what brought me there etc. Topic was how have we been looking after ourselves - diet, exercise, mental well being etc. We did a meditation/mindfulness exercise and then check out - what we have coming up in the next week...

and that was that, 90 minutes whizzed by! It was really enjoyable with some good laughs too, a lovely, welcoming friendly bunch and I have 3 phone numbers!!

There are other partner groups and lots of other things that go on so once I get into the swing of it there'll be lots more than once a week.

Yeah - good stuff! I'm thrilled I took the plunge even if I do say so myself lol.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

and thank you guys for the encouragement this morning too - I very nearly chickened out. You got me there
Old 01-16-2014, 10:21 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Great to hear from you Fallow, glad you're getting to the docs

Re-read, was it today? Hope it went ok!

As you can tell, really pleased about the meet
Old 01-16-2014, 11:20 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

MTN, I'm so chuffed you were brave enough to go and had a such a positive experience! And thanks for the feedback on what SMART meetings are like. Sounds very interesting.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:39 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reply Louise, glad someone did lol

Yeah, it feels like the most positive step I've taken in a couple of years - roll on Thursday!