Notices

Guilt and remorse?

Old 01-06-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Guilt and remorse?

Do you think people who struggle with alcohol have a lot of feelings of guilt or remorse? I do and it really isn't because I've done stupid things while intoxicated (I have) but more things I have said or done in general like not being 100% direct and honest when dealing with people out of fear about how they would react to me. Lately I've been struggling with that a lot.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I certainly did.

Staying sober helped me to sort out some of that stuff and, down the track, to make amends where I could.

We can't do anything to change the past but we can do a lot with our today

D
Old 01-06-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it takes time to deal with guilt and remorse. In general, I was not honest with people while I was drinking, and I had to get used to the idea of being truthful. Don't be too hard on yourself.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I did have those feelings also. Until I realized that I could not change the past. I can only be the best person I can be in the now moment.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah, I never thought about that but in my case it's true. I've been sober a little while now and do still feel guilt and remorse. Usually its when I slip up and get caught up in gossip or I'm not 100 percent honest. I really try and reflect and learn in these situations to not repeat. I also try to forgive myself as I am human and will continue to learn.
I must say my guilt and remorse has gone down 1000 percent since I quit drinking and the feelings are not as intense. Once I stopped drinking the really rude and inconsiderate behaviors stopped. That is a blessing, but I still have other behaviors to work on.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It took me several months to deal with the guilt and shame I felt about my drinking behavior. It helped a lot that I was seeing a very good counselor. Today those memories are just that: memories of a bad time in the past. I don't live in the past anymore, I live in today.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I felt such awful guilt that it would send me back to the bottle in the early days. I had to learn to move on and not be that person anymore. xxx
Old 01-06-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Since I'm newly sober guilt and shame are my two middle names!!!!Its what the disease wants you to feel..and it wants you to drink more to forget it.With the help of my sponsor and A.A. im learning how to deal with all negative emotions.I am happy and free today.