SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Back to day 1 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/318680-back-day-1-a.html)

justinJustQuit 01-06-2014 09:51 AM

Back to day 1

So I got pis$ed off at my work for not letting me take the weekend off to go to Chicago for a wedding. In short, I fell off the wagon.

Looks like I'll have to go through detox again too. I'm already feeling it.

So, to head off all the "What did you learn from it" questions, I'll start with the answer to that.

I learned that I need to cope better with things that are outside of my control.

I have a new record of sobriety under my belt, and I look to break that again starting today.

I have to get through this damn detox first....:gaah

soberclover 01-06-2014 09:52 AM

Glad you are turning things around so quickly!

least 01-06-2014 09:53 AM

Glad you're back trying again. :)

justinJustQuit 01-06-2014 09:55 AM

Luckily the brunt of my detox is between now and about 1:00 A.M.

ZeldaFan 01-06-2014 10:05 AM

Glad to hear you are getting right back at it!

justinJustQuit 01-06-2014 10:12 AM

I'm just frustrated because I was at like 13 days. Now I'm back to 0.

and detox is miserable. Thankfully, with the exception of my blood pressure, withdrawal only lasts about 48 hours.

PurpleKnight 01-06-2014 10:13 AM

Keep pushing through!! . . . . you can do it!! :)

justinJustQuit 01-06-2014 10:31 AM

Yeah I'll do it, I'll just have to wait to sleep till tomorrow. It's 12:30 afternoon and I already know I won't sleep.

JaylaaKent 01-06-2014 10:41 AM

I'm at 4 months, and I still go through physical symptoms. Getting alcohol totally out of your system takes time. Slipping up in the first 30 days is very common, after 2 months, it got easier to resist temptation, but I still have moments where I feel TOTALLY hung over as if I quit drinking the day before. Don't short change the toll starting/stopping drinking is causing on your body.

justinJustQuit 01-06-2014 10:45 AM

yeah that's true for sure jaylaa. Every withdrawal gets a little worse. and it's bad for so many other things.

copperfield 01-06-2014 10:49 AM

way to get back at it!!!

Coldfusion 01-06-2014 10:54 AM

I'm saying this prayer for you:

God grant Justin the serenity to accept the things he cannot change,

The courage to change the things he can,

And the wisdom to know the difference.

justinJustQuit 01-06-2014 10:57 AM

Thank you Coldfusion. By the way, are you a programmer or into engineering? The name Coldfusion is a programming platform.

FreeOwl 01-06-2014 11:02 AM

welcome back to sobriety.

are you going to AA?

justinJustQuit 01-06-2014 11:08 AM

FreeOwl, I have been doing AA some. And counseling.

safe2breathe 01-06-2014 11:41 AM

So I got pis$ed off at my work for not letting me take the weekend off to go to Chicago for a wedding.
i certainly understand the reasoning ...
one thing to keep in mind - we all know how alcohol controls us (or at least most do here) -- what we (especially those new to sobriety) may not realize is how WE LET other things and people control us --- as soon as we get angry or have a resentment toward someone or something -- we have let that person or thing have control of our emotions and of us ... we allow that to happen..... just something to consider

i am sorry it happened and glad you learned something ... hope things go a little bit better for ya this time... i recommend going to some kind of meetings, making some sober contacts and using the tools you have been lucky enough to have found -- such as this website -- next time you get pissed off - come on here and complain - and rant and rave -- or go to a meeting something

doggonecarl 01-06-2014 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by justinJustQuit (Post 4391470)
So I got pis$ed off at my work for not letting me take the weekend off to go to Chicago for a wedding.

If you had posted about your plans to go to a wedding, with 13 days sober, you would have gotten a number of posts gently suggesting that you don't go, that it is too early in recovery to put yourself in a situation (wedding receptions) where alcohol is a primary focus.

There is no way of knowing if you'd taken our advice and if accepting that you couldn't go would have preventing your drinking this weekend. But I agree with you...work on learning how to deal with things outside your control.

Drinking "at" something or someone because we are mad only hurts us.

justinJustQuit 01-06-2014 11:54 AM

Well I didn't go to the wedding because the boss wouldn't let me. AND because I figured i'd drink.

But now I'm faced with a different problem. Going to the alcoholic parent's this weekend. I've put it off for months since I've been fighting to stay sober.
Not sure what I'm going to do about it.

safe2breathe 01-06-2014 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by justinJustQuit (Post 4391640)
Well I didn't go to the wedding because the boss wouldn't let me. AND because I figured i'd drink.

But now I'm faced with a different problem. Going to the alcoholic parent's this weekend. I've put it off for months since I've been fighting to stay sober.
Not sure what I'm going to do about it.

be the example they need ... i once asked a random old man to tell me a life event that was truly meaningful to him - he told me how his son told him " you didnt graduate from hs - why should i stay in" -- and the old man spent the next half year after work in GED programs, took his test and failed, took it again and failed, and on the 3rd time passed it" His son saw that determination and love in his action and finished HS and went on to graduate college.

Point being- sometimes our actions and determination speak volumes louder about Love than anything we could ever say... You go and visit, and you stay sober FOR YOU -but if you think cant handle staying sober_Dont go... or find a safe place to stay... have someone sober go with you... you are first.

FreeOwl 01-06-2014 12:41 PM

good stuff Justin. My own experience has been that when I embrace the community and the process of AA, I do a lot better.

You can do this.