SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Today is the day. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/318652-today-day.html)

StaanVas 01-06-2014 03:29 AM

Today is the day.

Hi, I just need to share that I have decided to stop drinking alcohol as from today. I realised this morning that this is not going to be easy, so I went to see my doctor. I was very surprised, as he did some tests, and is now treating me for my problem. I know its still early days, and I am only like 6 hours sober, but is also proud and can't wait to get my life back. Any Ideas on how long it will feel like I am dying?

FreeOwl 01-06-2014 03:31 AM

well done StaanVas!!!!

congratulations on taking the first step.... keep on going!!

:)

:ring

Change4good 01-06-2014 03:33 AM

Good for you, and welcome! Smart move seeing a doctor. Detoxing has a different time span for each individual. Check out some of the stories folks have shared here.

The best part is, once you are on the other side, you never have to go back or experience withdrawal again. And speaking for myself, sobriety is wonderful. Others here will agree.

Welcome again!

FreeOwl 01-06-2014 03:33 AM

also; Alcoholics Anonymous South Africa Meetings

Head to a meeting.

:ring

IOAA2 01-06-2014 04:34 AM

Congratulations with your deciding to be rid of the alcohol demon. Many of the aspects of this disease are about as different as there are alcoholics. You may feel back to normal in a day or two or several weeks. Remember we put our body through a big strain. If you do have a difficult time please remember it for future reference if you start thinking again of drinking.

BE WELL

jazzfish 01-06-2014 04:36 AM

You will likely feel much better after a few days. Stay alert for thoughts that because you started feeling better quickly, then the damage must not have been too bad.

seahorse661 01-06-2014 04:38 AM

Hi, I usually started feeling ok after about 3 days. For me it depended on when I started eating properly again.
Did your doctor give you medication to help over the next few days?

PurpleKnight 01-06-2014 05:03 AM

The first week was the worst for me, after that the physical symptoms more or less ceased, next came sleeping, eating and over all general wellbeing improved with each Sober day!!

It'll take time, but keep pushing through, the rewards at the end will be worth it, I guarantee it!! :)

ClearMind 01-06-2014 07:15 AM

Very smart move in checking in with your doctor first. Sobriety takes a lot of work, but so does being a drunk. And the rewards are much more evident.

StaanVas 01-06-2014 09:23 AM

Hi, sorry I am just trying to see how to work the website. This reply is just a test.

copperfield 01-06-2014 09:30 AM

Congrats StaanVas!!! Im on day 5!!! Yes its hard but yes its awesome!

KateL 01-06-2014 09:31 AM

Well done, StaanVas x

2bhappier 01-06-2014 09:32 AM

Congratulations! I am wondering what kind of program a doctor would put you on. I haven't really talked to my doctor about my drinking.

StaanVas 01-06-2014 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by seahorse661 (Post 4390973)
Hi, I usually started feeling ok after about 3 days. For me it depended on when I started eating properly again.
Did your doctor give you medication to help over the next few days?

He gave me medication for a month. I must admit, I am feeling much better, but it last for about 6 hours. I am only allowed to use it twice a day.

StaanVas 01-06-2014 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by 2bhappier (Post 4391436)
Congratulations! I am wondering what kind of program a doctor would put you on. I haven't really talked to my doctor about my drinking.

Actually, I am not sure also. But I can tell you this much, its working. Heart rate, Blood Pressure, shakings, sweating, and everything else is much better when I take the pills.

StaanVas 01-06-2014 09:42 AM

WOW.... What an awesome forum, I did not expect so many replies on my first day. I can tell you all this, I am now even more determined to pull this one off. I am now sober for 14 Hours, and still counting. What a lovely place this is. Thank You...

2bhappier 01-06-2014 09:51 AM

I am glad you are finding this forum supportive. I've been here for a couple of weeks and haven't been sober yet and people haven't kicked me out! Best of luck to you. I think you are doing a wonderful thing.

least 01-06-2014 09:56 AM

:welcome to SR! I'm glad you found us and joined the family. :)

I found the first week to be the worst, then it started getting better. Hang in there. :)

StaanVas 01-06-2014 07:09 PM

Going now for day 2

Hi all, Just need to share with somebody that I am now sober for 24 hours. My first day was hell, and it looks like the second one is not going to be any better. Strange thing is I am actually feeling hungry this morning for the first time in 3 years. Deep somewhere in my mind I am still determined to continue. I wish all your wonderful people a awesome day.

justinJustQuit 01-06-2014 07:49 PM

Staan, I'm at 24 hours right now too. First day is miserable for me. I'm on detox pills as well. (Chlordiazepoxide ) My doc adjusted my dosage, and it was probably worse for the ol' shriveled up organ that is my liver.

After tonight, I'll be good.