Notices

Vitamins? or no Vitamins?

Old 01-05-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Vitamins? or no Vitamins?

Ok so before I quit drinking i read through a book called 7 Weeks To Sobriety. The day I quit I started taking B complex 100, Vitamin D,C,E and Calcium/Magnesium. I didn't take everything on the book's list because it really seemed way too much to monitor. That said I really have nothing to compare it to but generally I feel ok. I recently heard on the radio that vitamins do absolutely nothing for you what so ever. There was this big study. Anyhow I am curious to hear your thoughts on this. I am not asking for official medical advice or anything like that. I am just curious about your experiences with vitamins. Or just your thoughts.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't take them. My doctor told me as long as I eat a balanced diet they are not necessary.

That worked for me because when I did take them for a short period of time, it got me all backed up in the bathroom department.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A multivitamin might help a slight amount. The rest are just useless.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I take a daily multi vitamin. I heard that when we're drinking we don't get a lot of the essential vitamins we need. More for my daily routine of getting healthy than anything else.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I recommend a liquid multi vitamin that also contains digestive enzymes and antioxidants. I worked for years at a doctor-staffed supplement shop a while back...and this had been recommended (didn't know I would need the advice myself years later though. lol)

Also, I would suggest taking milk thistle and fenugreek for liver support. You can get the liver support in a complex so you only have to buy one item. AND eat tons of beets and berries!
Old 01-05-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I always recommend seeing a Dr - whats worked for someone else may not work, or may not be suitable for you.

Even 'natural' things like vitamins herbs and minerals can react with other medications, for example, so it's best to be safe.

D
Old 01-05-2014, 07:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I take a multivitamin daily along with Milk Thistle. Don't know if it's done anything to help in my recovery from alcoholism, but I don't seem to get sick as often. Just my experience.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

THanks everyone! I have also taken probiotics w/digestive enzymes and that worked wonders on my intestines that were in huge trouble before. I am on no medications for my anxiety as I am absolutely terrified of pharmaseuticals. Ok I have heard a lot about Milk Thistle. I am going to my doctor's this week and will ask her about them.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

With dee on this.

I did go see my doctor - turns out i was lacking some vitamins and the adjustment made me feel a lot better recovery. But the value is really going to come from what is right for your specific situation.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dollyangel17 View Post
I don't take them. My doctor told me as long as I eat a balanced diet they are not necessary.

That worked for me because when I did take them for a short period of time, it got me all backed up in the bathroom department.
we appreciate your honesty.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I did the 7 weeks to sobriety cycle of "Biorecovery" vitamins. It was very expensive. I did not do the whole 7 weeks, but maybe 2 weeks worth. I swear it helped to keep physical cravings at bay although it aggravated my digestion (stomach aches, etc.). My problem, however, was mental and the supplements did nothing to address that. I think combined with a rigorous program to help change one's *thinking* - supplements can be very helpful.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I also saw my doctor early in sobriety and after some blood tests it was determined I was low on B vitamins (common in alcoholics) and iron so I take those daily. I go back in 2 weeks to get my blood re-checked.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It may be a placebo effect for me, but I feel my complex B-Vitamins give me more alertness and energy. I feel they do help for sure. They don't hurt, that's for certain.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Cusper, I had been taking B12, D, fish oil and a multi-vitamin since I stopped drinking in August. Then, I heard about the same study that you did, and stopped taking the vitamins about 2 weeks ago. I haven't noticed any change. The only difference, in my opinion, is that my urine is now a little less expensive.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Take a multi vitamin - anything else requires medical advice bc you can actually do more damage than good to overdose on certain vitamins - B and E come mind.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cusper View Post

I recently heard on the radio that vitamins do absolutely nothing for you what so ever.
I used to sell vitamins - also had a few salespeople working for me
only if we are lacking in something
does the body pull the vitamin we need for use
all others go down the drain

a good Multiple Vitamin is probably all that is needed in most cases

Mountainman
Old 01-06-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The study in question should not be your reason for stopping vitamins. The results of the study stated that vitamins did not prevent cancer or other diseases. That is not the purpose of vitamins. They are used to maintain a healthy lifestyle, not prevent genetic or diet based diseases.
Becoming deficit in vitamins will detract from your quality in life. Also, not all multi-vitamins are created equal. Each vitamins comes in various forms. Poor forms of the vitamin cannot be used by your body. Do not buy over priced "gimmick" vitamins either. Here are the brands of multi-vitamins that have the proper forms: Orange Triad, Life Force multiple, NOW ecogreen. There are others, but those are just a few. Also MEN, do NOT take a multi-vitamin with iron. Feel free to ask any other questions. I have been studying nutrition and dieting for quite a few years now.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

I take Vitamin C and the Amino Acid complex called Gutathione. Destroys all cravings with no side affects.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My first reaction is who did the study/funded it.
Many negative of supplements/natural aids/herbs etc are funded by pharma companies with ulterior motives.

I was deficiant in B vits particularly thiamine, I take supplements, now i'm not.
My liver was fatty, I take milk thistle and eat right, now it's not.

Everyones different and i'm sure some vits are not necessary but these seem to do the trick for me
Old 01-06-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Autobrew Anon Member

I'm a believer in Milk Thistle. I've been taking it for some time. Presently I am also taking L Glutamine (read about this in My Way Out by Roberta Jewell and other sources on the net) and Vitamin B & D. I also take Vitamin C. I'm a big believer in Vitamin C too.
Thanks for the thread. I'm always interested in what others are taking and the effects. I very much agree with others who have mentioned that it is an individual need/response and beyond the normal multivitamins, I think there is definitely a need to either talk to your doctor or do extensive research in regards to interactions with any medications you may be on. With certain meds it can be serious.