Notices

End of Day 3 - Checking in :)

Old 01-05-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

End of Day 3 - Checking in :)

Hello you lovely people

I'm happy to report that I'm here and I'm sober. Had a lovely day doing nice things with my kids. We visited a German market and the Winter Wonderland where boozy mulled wine and hot cider were being sold on every corner. I shook my head at the old AV, wicked bitch she is and I decided to hunt for some warming soup instead. The kids and I wanted to try a new Pan-Asian restaurant in town so we headed there, all tired, hungry and thirsty. It was very busy so we were asked to wait in the bar - I looked around at a group of ladies all enjoying a glass of wine. It appealed to me for a nanosecond then I thought "yuk".

We got home quite late and I've been ok. Tidied up some, drank some tea, had a little panic before bed about the stuff I still need to attend to tomorrow but the main thing for me to remember right now while I lie here sober in my bed... How happy and grateful I was this morning when I woke up, hangover free, knowing I was going to enjoy a great day with my kids.
I always do lots of stuff with the kids. As an alcoholic parent I carry a lot of guilt and I find myself going that extra mile. Visiting soft plays, parks and places of interest with a hangover is the norm for me. Mints, perfume, sunglasses, water bottle, bussing/walking everywhere, carb snacks at the ready - I have perfected my hangovers. Not really ever fully present though, having fun watching the kids having fun but also secretly wishing the day away so I could get home and get that first glass of wine to stop the withdrawals kicking in. It's shameful writing this but it's true. I have to start being more honest with myself.

Anyway, today was a good day and I'm kind of looking forward to Day 4.

Goodnight SR friends and thank you for amazing support, your caring advice and for sharing your stories, thoughts and feelings. It makes a huge difference xx
Old 01-05-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job on Day 3!!
Old 01-05-2014, 04:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing your lovely day, Butterfly. Sleep tight and well wishes for day 4!
Old 01-05-2014, 04:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been there, Butterfly, with all the hangover remedies, faking that I feel great, counting down seconds til I'm home and can pour that wine. Such a twisted little cycle I was living. I'm so glad to have put a stop to it. Parenting is hard enough without adding all that PLUS the crushing amounts of guilt on top of it all.

Congratulations on Day 3. It sounds like it was a lovely time.

Jackie
Old 01-05-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on your lovely day 3.

May your days forward be gentle to you as you slip in to this new wonderful and present life with your kiddies!!
Old 01-05-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As an alcoholic parent I carry a lot of guilt and I find myself going that extra mile. Visiting soft plays, parks and places of interest with a hangover is the norm for me. Mints, perfume, sunglasses, water bottle, bussing/walking everywhere, carb snacks at the ready - I have perfected my hangovers. Not really ever fully present though, having fun watching the kids having fun but also secretly wishing the day away so I could get home and get that first glass of wine to stop the withdrawals kicking in. It's shameful writing this but it's true. I have to start being more honest with myself.

Anyway, today was a good day and I'm kind of looking forward to Day 4.
very strong of you to admit that.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on this huge achievement. You've got the ball rolling and it will only gain more momentum with time!
Old 01-05-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 3 and thank you for sharing your lovely day. I related to so much of what you described. I so want to become truly present in my kids' lives. It's not too late for either of us.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Fantastic, so pleased for you and your kids, keep it up
Old 01-05-2014, 10:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good for you!