Notices

How we act

Old 01-04-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How we act

I've often heard that how pepole act when they are drunk is the type of person they truly are on the inside. This has recently come to my attention and I've been putting a lot of thought into it. I know that inhibitions get extremely lowered once someone is drinking. So, it is possible, that the "true" person comes out. I become a sexist, racist, ******* when I get too drunk. I'm beginning to think that maybe that I really am those things and that I am just able to hold them in sober. Yes, I need to focus on not drinking, but if I truly am those things, I need to rethink my whole approach.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Drinking changed me in a bad way--I was selfish, intolerant, impatient (I could go on and on). I've been sober for nearly 6 months, and I'm finally getting to see the person I used to be (a good thing, I think!).

I think that you'll find that, the longer you are sober, the more you'll get to know who you truly are. Please be good to yourself during this process.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is where it got confusing for me - I was the nicest, most motivated girl in the world when drinking. I get grouchy and pouty and lazy when I don't drink, but I haven't made it more than 2 weeks without drinking in 5 years, so maybe it will get better after a few weeks...I think you probably lose your filter, but that doesn't define your character.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I appreciate the replies and perspective. I hate the person I become when I'm drunk, but I cannot contain that person. Which, makes me believe that is my true inner-self. My biggest problem is that I've been wronged by so many people in my life and I've never had an outlet or come to grips with it. When I drink, I generalize and take out my pain anyway I can. That is why I've had a problem drinking, b/c it helps me forget the pain. Being sober will help, but I'm not sure whats going to give me peace on the inside.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The belief that people have "done you wrong" is cause for anger and resentment. Doesn't really get you anywhere, I've found.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SlickRick07 View Post
I hate the person I become when I'm drunk, but I cannot contain that person. Which, makes me believe that is my true inner-self.
Your true inner-self isn't permanently set in stone.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by choublak View Post
The belief that people have "done you wrong" is cause for anger and resentment. Doesn't really get you anywhere, I've found.
I agree with you. It has gotten me nowhere. But, it still impacts my life. I don't act like I'm a victim, but I am a product of circumstance.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Your true inner-self isn't permanently set in stone.
Maybe its not. I've just come to realize that maybe sobriety is only step 1 of my problems. Perhaps, everything runs far deeper than just qutting drinking.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think sobriety has to be the base for all the rest. I also think that you are who you decide to be. You may just have to work at it.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've really never understood where this thinking comes from. I'm not actually 10 feet tall and bulletproof.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I choose to believe that the way I am drunk is not how I truly am. In fact, towards the end of my drinking I didn't even know who that person was when drunk. I was obnoxious, emotionally unstable, mean, and self destructive. For a little while when I was first sober, I didn't know who I was, but I knew I wasn't THAT. It has taken a little while to discover again who I am and what I stand for and it's still a work in progress. So although I sometimes said things while drinking that I really did think, that was not who I am as a person.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

When I have too much to drink, I become an ********. I am loud, obnoxious, and crass. If I drink myself into a blind stupor, I will start fights with friends and random strangers. But, before alcohol became a problem I was none of these characteristics. Quite the opposite actually.

I realized that I was just insecure with low self-esteem and when I'm drunk, I am trying to cover up for these insecurities. I hated my job, was overweight, and I felt like a failure but I didn't feel like that when I was drinking. Booze made me more 'charming', confident, and better looking in my own mind.

To everybody else, I am sure they thought the sober me was much more charming than the drunken, 'arrogant', ***** me.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SlickRick07 View Post
but I am a product of circumstance.
Everybody is a product of circumstance, lol it's not unique to you or any one select person.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Everybody is a product of circumstance, lol it's not unique to you or any one select person.
I am referring to MY circumstances. Everyone's are UNIQUE. Did you bump this thread to only say that or do you have something useful to add to the topic?
Old 01-07-2014, 10:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I have no idea who that person was that used to leave a trail if havoc wherever she went. This is me. And similar to what foolsgold just said, I do not have the power of telekenisis and cannot fly.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Drinking made me cool!
I'm not cool. Tricky monster had me fooled 100%
I hear it can do that.