Notices

Forgeting that you don't drink anymore.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Forgeting that you don't drink anymore.

Hi all, I hope everybody is keeping well,
Today I had a good result at work and all of a sudden something in my brain told me that I'd be able to talk on the phone about it with a good friend tonight over a glass of wine. It wasn't an urge or anything like that just a random thought.
I've been sober for a while now but for some reason today it was as if I had forgotten that I don't drink anymore.
All very strange.
Has this happened to anybody else? I know its a bit of a pointless thread but I like to keep in touch with you all.
Happy new year.
Bruno.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

During my periods of being sober, I've found myself walking into a store to buy beer and stopping and going, "what am I thinking? I quit." Like it was a total habitual absent minded thing.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've had that--at work on Thursday afternoon, I thought, "I can't wait to get home and have a drink." Then, I remembered that I don't drink.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Two days ago I was driving and I see a small billboard for a new boutique beer.
You know the type, lovely dewy glass full of icy cold amber beer, smiling happy, great lifestyle people sharing and caring.... (it's high summer here)

& I think "Oh! that looks like an interesting beer, I must try it" and continued this train of thought for about 30 seconds.

Then I caught myself and shaking my head I was shocked, what is that about...I don't drink anymore and having said that, I am not a beer drinker!!

It's quite bizarre because I had no cravings or desire to drink alcohol.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It happened to me a lot - even worse, cos I'd often find myself drinking without any idea how I got to that point - until I started working on my recovery every day by coming here and other stuff.

I'm glad you're sober and fighting the good fight Bruno
Old 01-04-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, the craziest time was my first time speaking at an AA meeting. I hadn't done much preparation, and a few hours before the meeting I was trying to gauge whether or not I was feeling anxious. The thought just came "oh well, if I feel really stressed about it later, 2 drinks before I go will settle me down". Took at least 5 minutes before it hit me what my thoughts had been
Old 01-04-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"oh well, if I feel really stressed about it later, 2 drinks before I go will settle me down"
LOL to funny seahorse.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I do it every once in a while, too. Like I got completely excited to see that my favorite store had my favorite beer 5$ overstock on sale. Snickered over my realisation of that for- lol it is still making me chuckle!
Old 01-04-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
EndGame

For many people, this goes on forever. A passing thought is not a craving, nor is it an expression of a desire to drink. It's a reminder of who I am.