Notices

Introduction

Old 01-08-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Introduction

I finally feel like I am ready to give up drinking for good. I am 25 years old and I am sick of suffering from this. I have destroyed relationships, jobs, and my mental state because of this addiction. After reading through the forums here I can really relate to this community of people. I am scared because I have been down this path before and have failed many times. The hardest part for me is knowing that I can't just have a few drinks. All I have known since about the age of 16 is drinking. Drinking is my hobby and I have lost my sense of self. Everything I do has revolved around drinking (art, music, social occasions). I have finally come to terms that I just cannot drink. I will never be able to control my drinking and just have a few and go home and go to bed. This is devastating to me.. but I know it will destroy my life. I always thought that I would be able to get a grip on my drinking problem..that I'm young and the want to binge drink would dissipate with age..but it has only gotten worse. I am trying to be positive but this is extremely frightening for me. I just can't imagine a world where drinking is not a part of my life. This is only day 3 of sobriety for me.. I HAVE to stick with it this time around.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Lauren25, 3 days of sobriety is FANTASTIC, congratulations. I wished I had considered quitting at 25. You don't want to be approaching 60 and not have a retirement plan in place like I don't. Rootin for ya.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I wish I'd quit when I was younger. You're smart to quit now before it totally destroys your life. You'll find lots of support and info here.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Lauren, I am impressed that you are so self-aware. You are smart to quit now. I know you don't believe it, but so much life is ahead of you. You are going to love your life sober!
Old 01-08-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Same as others, stopping at your age would have saved me 15 years.

And approximately 200 000$ spent on booze and cigs. My house would be paid and now at 39 would be living the dream.

Welcome to SR!
Old 01-08-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Lauren, i quit drinking about 15 months ago when i was 26 and it's the best decision i ever made. Alcohol was destroying my life and my drinking was getting progressively worse. Every aspect of my life has improved since i quit. SR is a great place for support. Glad you have joined us.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your words! It is great to feel like I'm not alone.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi lauren. I'm glad you won't have to go through the awful times many of us have. I never outgrew my compulsion to get drunk & continued into my 50's destroying myself.

We're happy you found us and came here to talk things over. I wish I'd admitted I couldn't control it the way you have done. Life would've turned out so different! You can do it lauren.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Lauren. You will find a lot of support and understanding here at SR.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Just a Sober ******* Now

Welcome and congrats on the 3 days! Those first few days were a confusing time for me. 25 sounds like a pretty awesome age to stop! (I'm a bit jealous I didn't stop then)

I understand where you're coming from on the starting off early... The community I live in has always had a "head turn" policy about underage drinking, so we drank. Everything involved alcohol and everyone did it.

Or so I thought... Wasn't until I climbed out from under the rock a bit that I realized that not everyone drank like I did... I had just surrounded myself with people who did. Sure, it's everywhere around us, but not everyone was partaking (or at least to my "special" levels).
Old 01-08-2014, 03:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It makes me feel better to realize that not every young person is out binge drinking every night. I think that is when I really noticed my problem (back at 21). Now is definitely the time when I will figure out who is truly a friend and not just a drinking buddy. Thanks thekl0wn!
Old 01-08-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Lauren, well done on the three days yay!! So glad to be sober, life is better in every respect, keep it up
Old 01-08-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome, Lauren. I guess I must be another old guy and say good on ya for this kind of realization at 25. It took me until 42 to make the full commitment. Onward!
Old 01-08-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Lauren, welcome to the Forum!!

It's a scary decision to make, but there are soo many people here that you can lean on for support that have felt exactly the same way and have come out the other side, great decision!!
Old 01-08-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Lauren

D
Old 01-08-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Lauren! You are definitely not alone, and good for you for accepting that you must not drink.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome and congrats on three days x
Old 01-08-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hayley86 View Post
Welcome Lauren, i quit drinking about 15 months ago when i was 26 and it's the best decision i ever made. Alcohol was destroying my life and my drinking was getting progressively worse. Every aspect of my life has improved since i quit. SR is a great place for support. Glad you have joined us.
Also in my late twenties and resolved to stop for good. So Lauren, here's at least two young people right alongside you. Good for you for realizing an issue and seeking out support.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:32 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi all, I wanna say some thing before any discussion. This is Marc Pierre here. I am taking interest in drugs but now i am feeling very harmful and sickness.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MarcPierre View Post
Hi all, I wanna say some thing before any discussion. This is Marc Pierre here. I am taking interest in drugs but now i am feeling very harmful and sickness.
Hi Marc Pierre You might get more of a response if you start your own thread