Notices

The book "Terry"

Old 01-04-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The book "Terry"

Greetings; First time post. I have reviewed the "Book" section, but wonder if anyone has read about George McGovern's late daughter Terry? The title is simply "Terry". I'd like to discuss some thoughts on that amazing story. Thanks for the opportunity.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I haven't read it, but I'm going to head over to Amazon to check it out. I'm always looking for new books to read, and I especially enjoy true accounts/biographies. Thanks for your post.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I read it. What a heartbreaking story. I highly recommend it. I read it back in 2009.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for the reminder. This is a book I wanted to read, but it struck too close to home, perhaps, and I had pretty much forgotten about it. Going to check out B & N online or Amazon.

Good article from way back. The late Sen. McGovern was a truly compassionate man. After Terry's death, he devoted much of his life to raising awareness on the need for more research into alcoholism and depression.

The Cold, Lonely Fight of Terry McGovern : Alcoholism: The senator's daughter gained sobriety, going dry for years at a time. But always something drew her back. In the end, it cost her her life. - Los Angeles Times
Old 01-04-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've not read it either, but welcome fleonard

D
Old 01-04-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I read it a few years ago. It was heart breaking. Especially so in that her family didn't begin to understand alcoholism until after her tragic death.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome! I read it years ago too - it was one of the reasons I knew I had to quit. With all the resources the McGoverns had, they couldn't help Terry. It terrified me.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm speechless after reading that article. Sad and scary because that could be any one of us. I don't know if I'd read the book or not I usually like happy endings. Unfortunately with real alcoholics, we often don't get one.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the 'welcome' and the mutual acknowledgment of the importance in the message that the book reveals. It seems to me that, like cancer, perhaps alcoholism should have 'stages', or well-defined levels.
'Terry' was obviously a "Stage Four" alcoholic. The question: what can be done in the earlier 'stages'?
I have one other big question I'm pondering: Would it be advisable to give this book to a person (female, age 49, daughter) just finishing rehab.?.?.? I have great respect for the phenomenon of 'Self-Fulfilling-Prophesy'. The book casts the shadow of 'hopelessness'. In handing her this book would I be overlooking a risk?

Thanks again All ....