Notices

Lost wife's keys - dealing with mistakes while sober

Old 01-04-2014, 03:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lost wife's keys - dealing with mistakes while sober

My memory is still slightly disfunctional from decades of boozing...i currently seem to have lost my wifes set of extra house keys, and stressing about it. i'm tired of getting torn apart for so many small mistakes constantly. cant seem to get any inspiration from our spiritual literature on this one to get it off my mind...

Does anyone find these mishaps and mistakes even more painful while sober? while drinking i had the i was wasted excuse... I talked to a bunch of aa members in my group about other things and at least felt slightly better.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

tell ya what... I'm a TOTAL scatterbrain, sober or not. When it comes to little details like keys.

Recently, I lost my own keys and thought I'd lost them in the snow while shoveling and found out to get a new key would cost me about $300 because it's a damn programmable key that the car won't start without programming - so I'd have to have the car towed to the dealership and special order a key.

I pretty much lost my mind over it.... then the next day my daughter found the key where I'd left it in her bedroom.

Maybe one approach is to just make light of it.... "HEY!! I may be a total scatterbrain, but at least I'm not DRUNK!!!"

This seems like it falls neatly into the category of "small stuff" - not to sweat. Though boy do I know how frustrating the small stuff can be!

Old 01-04-2014, 04:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Yeah, I am a forgetful bod, but I think it's just one of those things, Don't beat yourself up. My sister is the worst and she's not even a drinker
Old 01-04-2014, 05:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

it hurts because it reminds us of ourselves when we drank and messed up, at least for me it does

you'll find them, breathe, relax, slow down, think.....
Old 01-04-2014, 05:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yep..the new type of keys cost about $300 and take a few weeks to make. just hearing others have had the same silly issues does help...
Old 01-04-2014, 05:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

check every pocket, pillow, seat, floor.....
Old 01-04-2014, 06:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think you are beating yourself up over something that is relatively minor and something that can really happen to anyone. Ease up on yourself. Staying sober is hard enough. Don't beat yourself up over the small stuff.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had "brain fog" for quite awhile when I quit. Had trouble remembering things, organizing things, making decisions. Perhaps this is part of what's going on.

Look up PAWS symptoms.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, I am so forgetful during early recovery. More so than any other time. No worries, this too shall pass. I have to remind myself (for each crazy symptom), drinking now will only put me back to day one, and no, I do not want to start this process over, thank you very much.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

think about it - is it impossible to think you would have lost the keys while drinking? - of course not - stuff like this happens - difference is you are sober and it is consuming you where as when you were drunk you would have probably just shrugged off the loss as a casualty and not cared.