Notices

"I'm new to these parts..."

Old 01-03-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

"I'm new to these parts..."

Hello Everyone, this is my first post here. i look forward to being a part of SoberRecovery! I just got home on New Years day after being at an inpatient rehab for 90 days. I was looking for info on how to adjust or what to expect when coming home to your husband after being gone 3 months, on both our parts.
This is a big adjustment, kinda like we're starting over, its nerve racking for both of us! Any little tid bit of info would be great!
Old 01-03-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Familygirl. I do not have experience coming out of rehab, but I have plenty of experience struggling with my drinking and with working to adjust to life after drinking. I know how hard it can be on many levels, but I also know how rewarding and imperitive it is. So much better on the sober side of things.
Again, welcome. You will find great support, understanding, and insights here. Lots of experience, lots of help.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! I spent about a month in inpatient myself. I'd lost my relationship to my girlfriend before returning though, so I'm afraid I have no advice on the spouse thing.

As for returning home, it sure is weird, isn't it? I guess my main advice would be to remember that you haven't been "cured". You have been taught the tools on how to manage your condition, and you will need to remain vigilant moving forward. Use those tools. Put your new found skills to use. Do NOT fall into old habits - even if it's as simple as sitting on a different side of the couch. Keep things simple. Also, don't try and go to bars or parties and be the "sober one" and drink Sprite or whatever. You have to put that behind you, maybe not forever but certainly for now. Be very wary around old drinking friends, even if they seem harmless they might be triggers. And finally, be prepared to experience some tough times. It's not all rainbows and unicorns out here, but with some determination and hard work you'll finally see what all the fuss was about. The rewards to sobriety are great, just have some patience and again keep your guard up.

Welcome back, welcome to SR and good luck!
Old 01-03-2014, 08:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome xxx
Old 01-03-2014, 09:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations and welcome, Familygirl!
Old 01-04-2014, 12:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome familygirl

D
Old 01-11-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanx everyone for the nice welcome! It's good to be here.
not feeling on top of the world today, especially now! I have people needing something from and I don't have it give! Ya know I've heard of the "Pink Cloud" thing. I never felt it when i was first recovering or anytime there after. BUT, coming out of in patient re-hab after 3 months, I totally felt what I think, was a pink cloud. It was kind'a cool,. it felt good, I felt good!
It's been 10 days since I got home and today I just feel like a blob, don't want to do anything really. It's my cousins 40th b-day today! (which makes me feel old...I used to bb sit him and his twin brother, change diapers, feed, ect...) and NOW THEIR 40...ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!????!?! ok im calm...
I don't want to go...it's at a bar. Honestly I'm Not even worried about me drinking...I don't want to deal with the people who are drinking!! My niece and her boy friend are going and she wont drink anything to support me. (which is awesome!) and her boyfriend is actually in recovery (over 6 months now) so there will be 3 of us not drinking...But I got nothing. I am SO over the bar seen even way b4 I stopped drinking. I'm a 48 yr old married woman and that aint my thing anymore...Can I get an Amen Sist'a!
Ok I'll stop going on! it actually helped a little spouting off...Thanx all! <3<3<3
Old 01-11-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad the venting helped - and congrats on 10 days

D
Old 01-11-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You've come to a good place for support. I'm glad you joined us.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

"Puuuuurrrrfect"

I am COMPLETLY Smitten with dogs...spelled backwards it's God. No wonder they are So perfect! I love the saying you wrote about living in your car w/ your dogs rather than in a castle w/out them! I would do that a 1000 times over! And then 1000 times after that!
The more in know people the MORE I LOVE MY DOG!
I strive to be all my dog thinkls I am!
Old 01-15-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Familygirls65! Glad your here .
Old 01-15-2014, 10:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Another Welcome and glad you found us.

I'm new too and feel like this is already my family.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

There are lots of dog lovers round these parts, myself included. They are amazing, and the dog-human bond is something that really tugs at my heart. Pups really don't care what kind of house they have or what kind of car they have as long as they're goin for a ride!
Oh yeah... Amen sista!
-Ted
Old 01-15-2014, 12:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Familygirl