Notices

Day 6 Grrrr....

Old 01-03-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 6 Grrrr....

Coming to the end of day 6 and I am so damn irritable and angry. Little to no patience either. If anyone has any advice on how to relax a bit, it'd be really appreciated.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Take a walk,,, reflect,,, anger, and all emotions run high right now..... hang tough ! good job on day 6,,,, hope to hear from you tomorrow.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
One Day at a Time

Today is day 7 for me. I know exactly what your talking about. I was crabby and irritable all day. I went to the gym around 3:00. Lifted and ran a few miles. This seemed to help. Then I went to a great AA meeting tonight. The day is almost over and I'm ready to start my day tomorrow.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Shooting, feel for you my friend. Day 6 is a great start. Keep at it. It will improve every day. What is your plan for mental improvement as well as physical health.
Make a list of all the reasons you need to get sober and post it all over the house.
Family that counts on you. Job you need, goals for your money, vacations to be planned. Etc Etc.
Gotta think positive. Easier said than done, I know.
Post your feelings here often. Great support group on SR.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just know that it is normal, Shooting, and that it will pass. I second the exercise advice, but as we are all different, "exercise" means many different things. I love getting my heart rate up, sweating, losing myself in a workout, but I also get a boost from fresh air and a bit of quiet, even a quick walk around the block. Above all, think about tomorrow, your precious 6 days, and your goals. Also, for me a few cups of hot tea after the kids go to bed and all is still really helps. Be strong. Onward!
Old 01-03-2014, 09:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I advised someone to have a tasty little snack earlier. Bit lame sounding, I know, but it seemed to work. Works for me anyway xxx
Old 01-03-2014, 10:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is me too, and I feel really guilty about it. I think my kids are wondering what the hell is wrong with me and my husband has slept on the couch the last two nights because as he said it (nicely) "you seemed a little prickly - I didn't want to disturb you." (basically he is just backing away slowly from me). I used to run when I felt this way and it helped a lot, but I'm not running right now so feel at loose ends on how to get rid of this negative, grating energy. Long walks with the dogs help. A hot, hot shower or bath help a bit. Knowing that this WILL pass helps too. Hang in there.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found a gratitude list really helped. We all have things to be grateful for.

Sometimes in the early days I wanted to screw the list up and trow it against the wall,. but doing it regularly helped remind me my life was not all bad, and getting better

D
Old 01-04-2014, 12:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i think it is ok to be angry and irritable ... and it is normal ... just watch where you project that anger and irritability ... maybe just start writing it down ... or go for a good run ?
Old 01-04-2014, 01:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I was at fever pitch at about 6 weeks . I just started to back down from confrontation , taking deep breaths , deliberately calming myself by looking at the bigger picture … why was i in a rush to get home, so that person cutting my up in traffic was a problem for me ?? 5 mins on my journey means nothing , other people are daft and impolite , they will always be so , it's not worth me having a fit over . Stuff like that …

Bestwishes, m
Old 01-04-2014, 01:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

just know youre where youre supposed to be ... i was a " " pick your favorite explicit adj or string some together - probably spot on - when i first quit drinking ... going to meetings helped me ... so i went to a LOT my first 90days
Old 01-04-2014, 03:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was feeling irritable and anxious yesterday too.... I talked to my sponsor about it and he pointed out I should have some candy or a little simple syrup and fruit juice or something....

I was dubious but then he mentioned that my body's blood sugar was probably out of whack. I hadn't really even considered that, but when we take drinking out of our diet we take out a significant caloric and sugar hit that our bodies and our brains have become accustomed to.

Could be partially just physical symptoms of your body recalibrating.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
EndGame

There aren't many afflictions for which eating a candy bar is the remedy. A few months sober following my relapse, I was having intense, daily cravings. On a day when I almost exploded, my sponsor suggested that I eat something sweet. I got a dark chocolate Hershey bar, and haven't stopped eating chocolate since.

Battling cravings is a process. In my case, a very long and painful process. So there is work that needs to be done. But sometimes, when we're bleeding, even a small band-aid will do in order to save us in the moment so that we'll be available to continue the struggle.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm on day 3 right now and watching football. It's very odd for a weekend to consist of no drinking for me. I thought about it earlier how deep I'd be on a typical weekend, but know I can't go back down that road.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

For those intense moments, when your at the end of your rope, just breathe. Nothing else. In through the nose, out through the mouth. Ten times, while touching your thumb with your pointer finger at the same time. Simple, but effective.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It's ok to be anxious and irritable. It's probably all those emotions that have been stuffed and numbed for so long that are now very noticeable.

In the beginning I did whatever I had to do to distract myself. Movies, reading, walking, taking a bath, meetings, even sleeping a lot. When I just couldn't stand the day anymore I went to sleep and usually woke up feeling better.

Hang in there...gets better with a few months.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
One Day at a Time

Today is Day 9. I feel great today. I've gone to a meeting each day and have met with my sponsor four times. I really want to do this right this time and take it one day at a time.