Notices

Need sobriety

Old 01-03-2014, 12:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need sobriety

I am 71' been drinking since 15', daily about 30 years. Last 6/8 months drinking about 1/5 vodka daily. Sober about 42 hours, very tired, little sleep last night. No detox symptoms except fatigue. Hungry a lot. Want this a lot. For last 40 or so hours been reading and doing exercises in the Smart recovery handbook,reading "Sober for good, journaling, helps me look at what's in my head. Want to go to a Smart recovery meeting but they are about 50 miles from here and I can't see to drive at night. I feel like crap and the urges are driving me crazy but damn-it I'm gonna make it.
Thanks for any help
Bubbas55
Old 01-03-2014, 12:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AlmA

Bubbas...

you are doing great just Hold on the Fort...
You want to change and you CAN... stick to it...
Do all the exercise you can... come here any time you are going mad...
write about it...

There is another life to live people do it ... we can too.
we have a weakness we hide behind it.
but we donot confront our problems...

IT CAN BE DONE...

Do a list on two questions...

1. The Benefits of drinking?
2. The dark side of drinking?

you will surprised...
when you finish put it in your pocket... for when you need to be reminded.
we have short memory...

Old 01-03-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Kudo to you, good move xxxx
Old 01-03-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello Bubba, welcolme! I urge you not to stay in your house. Get out and get some air, see some sights etc. Unfortuently being in the same environment makes people want to do the same things. I suggest you continue with SMART but find an I.O.P (Intensive Outpatient Program.) Try to find others sober, I personally believe it is very important in your first 30 days. The good news is, if your only issue is drinking it is already out of your body.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you for making this decision.

SR is a good place to hang out if you can't get out and drive now. There's always lots of support here.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Bubba,

Hang in there. I can really understand the not driving at night thing. Is there someone who could drive you? I wish I could offer more in the way of support other than that.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You've made a wise decision to stop drinking. Living sober rocks!
Old 01-03-2014, 02:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!! Great Decision!!
Old 01-03-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Bubba. SR is a great resource for getting help. You will find a lot of support and understanding here. Keep reading and posting.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mac2809 View Post
Hello Bubba, welcolme! I urge you not to stay in your house. Get out and get some air, see some sights etc. Unfortuently being in the same environment makes people want to do the same things. I suggest you continue with SMART but find an I.O.P (Intensive Outpatient Program.) Try to find others sober, I personally believe it is very important in your first 30 days. The good news is, if your only issue is drinking it is already out of your body.
Honestly I'm not at all interested in staying in the house. But. We have 8" snow of the ground and the roads are ice covered.when the weather gets better I want to join the YMCA and start swimming. Also right now my health sucks. I love working in my shop...don't drink there except maybe a beer.
But your right, I do almost all my drinking at home between 3 pm and 8 pm. I drink about 1/5 vodka
Old 01-03-2014, 05:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome!! Get yourself into your shop and get to work. Keep your mind off the alcohol if possible.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the support. Starting day 3. Feeling tough but still hanging in. Lots of joint pain now, not sure how much is my old buddy author or how much is intensified by detox. Sleeping a little better tonight, went to bed at 8:30 and it's 12 mn now. Back to bed soon.all the reading, and chats are helpful in keeping the urges down. Good night all, see ya in the am.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mac2809 View Post
im with you... want to find some kind of outside tx but seems most everything around here is AA. i will see my family doc tuesday and this time come straight with him. maybe he has some ideas. also want to ask around on-line about any non-aa tx in so indiana...
thanks
bubba
Old 01-04-2014, 12:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Bubba

what about online SMART meetings?

D
Old 01-05-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

like smart and plan to start meetings as soon as I can get to one when its not dark out. they have on-line meetings but haven't figured them out..i will keep on til I figure it out. feeling rough today, screwed up last night and drank... but im back in the saddle.. everthing considered im afraid of detox/dt's/withdrawl...seeing my doc Tuesday, it I can get out. we live in the woods, on a country road and have about 10" snow, its not supposed to get above 0 tomorrow. oops im talking too muuc...
Old 01-05-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Keep talking, keep posting, you want this... Don't give up Bubba you can do this... It's not going to be easy... But hey it's the way to go!!
Old 01-05-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope to can get to your Dr and to SMART meetings

D
Old 01-05-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The doctor is a fantastic (and probably necessary) idea, Bubba.

Posting and reading here was critical to my early recovery. Glad you have joined us

Hunker in and wait for the roads to clear. Cold we can handle (he says easily from California). Vodka we can't.

I did AA, not SMART, but wish you well. Do try the online meetings. This digital can work.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

well you are here and not drinking so that is a start -- read through some recovery stories, make some human contact (even if it is one a computer) ... you can do this - the people here are proof.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MemphisBlues View Post
The doctor is a fantastic (and probably necessary) idea, Bubba.

Posting and reading here was critical to my early recovery. Glad you have joined us

Hunker in and wait for the roads to clear. Cold we can handle (he says easily from California). Vodka we can't.

I did AA, not SMART, but wish you well. Do try the online meetings. This digital can work.
love your reply......Cold we can handle...vodka we cant......