Notices

The Silver Lining of Alcoholism...

Old 01-02-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Silver Lining of Alcoholism...

ScottfromWI posted about this on another thread and it prompted me to share something I've been thinking lately about "The Silver Lining of Alcoholism".

You see.... probably like a lot of us, I have a real struggle with accepting 'being different'. The idea that I 'can't' do something inherently makes me want to prove to myself and the world that I CAN. And that kind of mentality plays right into the devious hands of alcoholism.

So lately, when I've found myself feeling that 'differentness' weigh on me or I catch myself feeling sorry for myself because of 'not being able to....' - I've been making a conscious effort to turn it around.

Am I different? YES!!! But, the difference is a positive. BECAUSE I'm different, I have the opportunity to live and experience my life fully and unfiltered / unhampered by the haze of booze. And what a gift? In a world where so many seem to need alcohol along for the ride regardless what they may be experiencing - joy, pain, elation - what a true gift to live and feel it all!

Maybe we're actually the lucky ones. Maybe this allergy, this disease, this _whatever__you__prefer__to__call__it__ is really a grand gift that has opened a door for us to live our lives on the highest plane possible.

Instead of "I can't" - I try and say "I choose NOT to... because I'm going to make the most of this gift!".

So far, it's helping.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
waking down

Thanks for that. Day seven and I'm out of sorts. I'll try to remember this sentiment and keep charging through. Just feel like crap today and fighting bouts of anxiety. Better days will come.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I turn it around this way:

If you want to be different, stop drinking. While reliable statistics on recovery rates are difficult to come by, they are also appallingly low. Stopping, once addicted, puts one in an exclusive club.

It takes no special skill to be a 'normal drinker'. Most people are that way, and they don't even realize it! Wanna do something special? Defeat alcoholism. Not many do.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I look at it as an amazing opportunity to learn how to live a better life that's more fulfilling and has purpose. I actually think that anyone alcoholic or not could benefit from a 12 step program. It has also made me a stronger person. Stopping the insanity of my addiction has hands down been the most lengthy and difficult challenge of my life. I have the upmost respect for those in recovery because I know how difficult it is to stop drinking once it has a hold on people's lives.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Just to clarify what I meant ( since i'm quoted here ), I was suggesting that the silver lining of alcoholism to me is that it's 100% preventable and the effects of it are almost always reversible. Unlike many diseases/afflictions which we don't have a lot of control over the outcome and some that are terminal no matter what we do.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Just to clarify what I meant ( since i'm quoted here ), I was suggesting that the silver lining of alcoholism to me is that it's 100% preventable and the effects of it are almost always reversible. Unlike many diseases/afflictions which we don't have a lot of control over the outcome and some that are terminal no matter what we do.
Thanks Scott.... I only quoted you because it was your words that triggered me to post this as a thread idea.

Your 'silver lining' is an awesome one!!!

Old 01-02-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I agree, I wouldn't be who I was today if I hadn't had a drink problem earlier on. It gave me an opportunity to work on myself and my life. I am happy with who I am so ...
Old 01-02-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I feel like it's in fashion to not drink these days. If you go out to a pub or a nightclub, and you're sober and drinking water, with a clear head and your speech is not slurred, then it's a breath of fresh air. It's unique, really, because most people are drinking and some are hammered. I feel the same thing is happening with alcohol these days as what happened to smoking only a few years ago - it became uncool.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I like your thinking kid.

I was just turning around another thought process myself. I have a touch of what I think is food poisoning from undercooked lobster tail on NYE. I started to think - how much this stinks, why am I sick, blah blah. But then, I thought, I should be so much sicker. I have an amazing ability to heal ! I'm so healthy I'm fighting this off ! Etc.

It's all in your perspective I am learning.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

the silver lining being you have knowledge and experience that non alcoholics don't have which builds strength and character. Of course first you have to get yourself out of the hole...whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger right?