Notices

Exercise as a coping method for anxiety/withdrawal

Old 01-02-2014, 09:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exercise as a coping method for anxiety/withdrawal

Hi, my weakness is the habit I have developed of going to the refrigerator as soon as get home from work. From there it's all down hill. Tonight I am going to go for a walk instead and keep walking for at least an hour. I will then lift weights and watch the news. If I still have the craving I am going to get into my car and drive to a hardware store and walk around. I am going to fight the cravings by staying busy. Hopefully I will be able to settle down and read a book. I may take an ambien to help me sleep. I think that if I can follow this same routine for the next 5 days, I can beat the alcoholic voice that is screaming in my head and the anxiety I feel when it's time to drink.

I am also using the apps Sports Tracker and My fitness pal to keep track of the foods I am eating, the calories and the amount of exercise I am doing. I may bug everyone with my updates.

Thanks everyone. I need to make this work.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like a good plan, the worst thing is to head home after work and not fill the time you'd normally use to drink with nothing, a change of routine and lifestyle is needed to make it work!! you can do it!!
Old 01-02-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great plan - this has worked for me in the past, especially the calming walk part.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

Of the top 50 reasons to exercise, #18 is: 'helps control addictions'.

Good job.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I found walking and eventually running were the best ways to fight my cravings for alcohol. It's been over four months and I'm still running. It is a healthier addiction for me.
We look forward to your updates.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the much needed motivation! Exercise is supposed to be one of the best things you can do for yourself in early sobriety.

It took me three months to work up the motivation to start working out but now I'm on a roll and excited.