Notices

I quit

Old 01-02-2014, 03:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy I quit

This is the day I give up alcohol. I'm 30 years old, married, and mother of a beautiful little boy. Sorry if this is poorly written, I have been drinking for the last two days. Then finally, last night, I knew I had to stop and told my husband. He said he is going to leave me if I don't.

I'm so good at justifying drinking almost every night at home. Just a little wine, I use it for cooking, but I ALWAYS find myself unable to stop. I have a severe mental illness, my mother killed herself a few years ago, my father drank himself to death at 36.

I love going out, I love partying and I feel like a better mother when I'm slightly drunk. Playing with my son is less boring and I can handle everything. I know that this is it for me. I hate myself SO MUCH, but dying is not an option, I don't want to leave my son. So I found this forum, ordered a book, and I am going to empty out all the bottles.

Thanks for listening.

Katie
Old 01-02-2014, 03:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

sounds like you're right there at the doorway, Katie....

Now just gotta have the willingness and commitment to step on through.

Get to a meeting if you can, it will help.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Katie, Welcome- It's a big step, for sure. There is a lot of support and experience here.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Welcome, Katie.

It is tough to make the decision to quit. Have you thought about a plan for quitting? There are numerous approaches to getting and living sober.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So happy you found SR! Everyone is AMAZING here. Please visit ALOT! You will find so much information and support. You are not alone!! And you have made such a great decision!!
Old 01-02-2014, 03:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Katie!!

You've made the best decision you'll ever make!!
Old 01-02-2014, 03:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Katie

I can identify with thinking everything was just that little bit better with alcohol - including myself.

I think most of us can.

Thats the big lie tho...with some sober time I can look back and see I was utterly fooling myself - I wasn't better at all, my world was shrinking and I was becoming less and less capable and less and less a person I wanted to be.

I was digging a deeper and deeper hole...and eventually... it swallowed me up.

You;re smart to think about this now before you hit that point.

I thank God I had a second chance. I love my life and who I am and there are happy ever after stories after drinking.

Start yours today?
D
Old 01-02-2014, 03:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Katie!
Old 01-02-2014, 03:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, you'll be a better mother for your son sober.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Katie. The way you feel right now is a consequence of the way alcohol affects your nervous system: a lot of things improve when the alcohol is gone. We all have to find our own way to sobriety as will you. SR is a good resource and wonderful support for you 24/7. It doesn't help to hate oneself, try focusing that energy on hating alcohol. Alcohol is your enemy, not you. We're all cheering for you!
Old 01-02-2014, 04:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome. Great decision. xxxxxxxx
Old 01-02-2014, 04:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome,

I agree with all of the above, and for me it was the wanting to quit and to wanting a better life for MYSELF, so I gave it a go and its amazing how much sobriety has helped my life!!!

With my life getting better it has improved the lives close to me as well!!!

Matt
Old 01-02-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Katie,
Please don't be afraid to get medical help with detox. I didn't think I needed it ,but wow was I wrong and it saved my life and started me on the road to sanity.
One day at a time.
Hugs to you and your little one.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

WELCOME KATIE! Lots of us with stories- including me- that sound like yours. Keep your mind set and dont let the beast back in- dont even look its way. Hold onto us- sobriety is one hell of a sweet ride!
Old 01-02-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you, everybody, this really, really helps. My husband hates alcohol and don't understand why I'm so depressed, to him it's just something that I'm *not* going to do anymore. To me it's like losing a friend. A sh*tty, lying, fatal friend, but I'm still grieving, and then there's the shame. To blackouts. Concerned looks on people's faces, comments. It's all so clear. I don't have a programme, but I am here, I have bought a book about quitting and I am getting myself a ring as a symbol of sobriety. I need to quit being around my best friend, who is a raging alcoholic, another thing that has made me overlook my own absuse for so long, I knew I was drinking too much, sure, but at least I didn't drink in the morning or get the shakes, so how bad could it be? Pretty bad. I may have lost the love of my life. He has almost no trust left in me. But I need to do this with or without him. And hopefully my son will grow up with no severe emotional scars. I'm praying.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberMama13 View Post
Katie,
Please don't be afraid to get medical help with detox. I didn't think I needed it ,but wow was I wrong and it saved my life and started me on the road to sanity.
One day at a time.
Hugs to you and your little one.
Thanks. I take seroquel in small quantities, that helps.