Notices

Worst New Years of my life......

Old 01-01-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

My first New Years Eve sober was day 7 for me. It's sucked, but I didn't drink. I haven't had a bad one since then. Congrats on the 12 days!
Old 01-01-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Just wanted to say happy new year, and a happy 12 days sober, Good for you! i know it's hard for you, but from what I see from my kids is that new years eve is something magic, you wouldn't be happy to know that they wouldn't be enjoying this evening even if it is with a "new friend" doesn't mean it isn't hard and your sad just be happy that they are, you are still their parent they don't love you any less
You're doing great, and if they know they will be so proud of you! Good luck!
Old 01-01-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Broom my first year sober but on my own . My sober h left in augbthe day I adked him for help. Christmas eve I find he has a new friend, living with her so has been going on for a while. I gotva big dosebofvthe pity me s . When to an aa meeting . At midnight I went tobthe beach with my dogs and handed everything over vto a higher power. Im drink free 4 months and starting to get my head straight.
you have children enjoy them and be grateful for what you have. Ibhave to dona gratitude list daily.
o andbinhad no heating last night or today but ive got blankets.
have a happyv2014
Old 01-01-2014, 09:31 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 12 days sober. by staying sober youare giving yourself the best chance of a new, better life. You are also giving yoursel f hope. I never had any hope when drinking but am now full of hope.

I'm just over a year sober-it's not been all easy of course,life can be bad at times but it's never as bad sober as when drinking. Please believe in yourself and that it will get better, you're giving yourself and your children the best life you can by gettign sober.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
~sb

getting it out is good, then we must DO things to make our present/futures more wonderful!

Glad you are sober today! You are worth it!!
Old 01-01-2014, 10:28 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Broom View Post
Get my kids from Noon-7pm today and the only time I feel normal anymore is when I'm around them.
There are dozens of things you can do to make you feel "normal," but you won't know what they are until you do them.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hey, you made it through NEW YEAR'S EVE without taking a drink! Good for you, and congratulations on your now 13th day sober!
Old 01-01-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Swashbuckler

I spent the evening alone and in my apartment.
Same here - but I was joyous. (and not like a year ago, two years ago, three years ago, when I was also alone but miserable) I may be crazy but I'm sober and that's more than enough for joy. Today creates tomorrow so despite all the difficulties, if the foundation of our days - now, today - is good, (in the case of us bozos this translates to sober) the future will take care of itself.

All we have to do it let it do it

2013 was BY FAR the worst year of my life and right now I've hit rock bottom.
Trust me, I hate Pollyanna rosy approach, "think positive" garbage (for if thinking positive alone would make our lives more wonderful by itself, than we're in double bind, guilty yet again for not making it wonderful) but I really do believe it is good thing to hit rock bottom. The only way from now on is up!

2013 was for me by far the worst year for me as well (lost all income, lost a girlfriend due to my poverty, a friend screwed me for the money after a hugely successful project I, basically created myself, still alone and lonely, I even live in a place I hate) and I see it as a wonderful opportunity. Sure, I could've gone and killed myself - but no way in Hell; I have a fantastic project to work on, despite having no money (I will find investors when the time is due) and I do work and look back as the great school I finally graduated.

Now is the time to get out and face the life, ready to fail gloriously yet again in so many attempts (business wise, private life wise) until the victory arrives. But I will not wait for it drunk. What a sense of freedom and internal opportunities to grow!!

Thank God for my kids because they are the only thing holding me together at this point. Here's to all of us having a Happy 2014!!!
And I do not even have kids.

Do you see how immensely lucky guy you are!? All you need is to find a way and make the best out of what you have.

Good luck in all that you do!!

Happy New Year 2014 everyone!!

Old 01-01-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Yeah it was a quieter one than usual alright, hadn't sat in on NYE in such a long time.

I think though the feeling of "everyone else is having fun" is a bit of a myth, I can't remember in the last 5yrs enjoying myself going out, standing in long queues, sometimes in the rain, paying extortionate door charges and then a fortune on alcohol, followed by a 2 day hangover!

This morning was feeling fresh, this time next year after seeing improvements to life things should be different, we just gotta believe in those that have experienced more than 1 sober NYE!!
Old 01-01-2014, 03:19 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

You are made of tough stuff. Be proud x
Old 01-01-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hey Broom- Mine was very uneventful as well. I was with people but didn't even see the ball drop. I'm looking on the bright side though. I was sober and woke up this morning ready and excited for a new year. Much better than trying to pull myself out of bed, anxious about what I did last night. Think about how good you feel physically today. Think about the 12 days you have. What a great way to start 2014!!!
Old 01-02-2014, 12:03 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Broom, know we're all pulling for you here!

Enjoy your children, keep going on your great start on sobriety. Sometimes it's literally one minute at a time over and over and over again, but it's worth it. Your life will start to make a turn for the better. You may have to go through a lot of crap first (after all, years of drinking does create chaos and messes to clean up so it takes awhile to turn it around) but it does get better!

Spend some time reading here. You'll read stories that will be much worse than yours, yet here the people are, forging ahead and making positive changes. You'll read some stories that will inspire you. You'll respond to some people that write something you can relate to. Keep on moving through the bad stuff.

Facebook is great for keeping in touch. It seems like everyone is having a better time, but many people only post when they have something fun to post about, or when they're with people they love. It's not all sunshine and kittens for them either. Maybe there should be a Facebook page for SR where we could all post all of our horror stories and exciting days-it would be pretty entertaining wouldn't it? They could be posts like Leana's to make us laugh (sorry Leana, you're a good writer and painted a funny picture-I hope the rest of 2014 is better for you)